Picture palaces

magictiger

Just chatting the other day about the old picture palaces and how many i went to, and what i watched.

I remember me dad used to take me every monday night to a film i could choose so i would open the star to the 2nd page where they all were advertised and make my decision.

About 5 minutes after sitting down my dad used to fall asleep untill it was all over and he would wake up to the sound of all the seats folding back up again.

I seem to remember the one i used to go to regular were hillsboro cinema, and kinema, essoldo at lane top,the unity at the top of the street where i lived on langsett rd, the pavilion at attercliffe, the oxford at upperthorpe where i went to watch the matinees, i even think we went to the studio 7 in the wicker but i know i had to be careful which film i picked there because one or two had a few semi clad ladies in the films lol, I think there was the classic in fitzallen square and the odeon but i cant remember where that was.

I can only remember a few of the films i saw like "Cat ballou" "Shenandoah" " old yeller"...loads of tarzan and a few james bond. Cant for the life in me remember if i ever saw a cartoon though!!.

Saw Longest day and a few more war films but cant remember them all.....so its over to you all to say where you went and what did you see ..Oh and i never got to sit in the back row...it was allways full when i was a teenager!!

We used to go to the Ritz cinema on Saturday mornings to watch regulars like 'Zorro' and afterwards go to Buchanon Rd. shops to buy a ha'penny cane each and sword fight all the way back to Milnrow Rd.

Much later we headed a convoy of cars down from Huddersfield to watch 'The Life of Brian' at the Essoldo because it was banned up there.

First Job - the misadventures of two 70s Sheffield lads at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com

I can recommend this book for photos of old Sheffield cinemas.

I well remember the last night of the Hippodrome in Cambridge Street in 1963; I was in the audience to see, appropriately enough, Gone With The Wind. Appropriate speeches were made before and after the film, and before leaving the audience sang "Auld Lang Syne". See here for a brief history of the Hippodrome.

Our nearest "flicks" was the Kinema in Hillsborough. If you were quick and scurried out as soon as the film ended, you could be first in the queue at Mrs Barrow's chipshop, and then eat your newspaper-wrapped fish and chips as you walked home.

Great to see you back, CHAIRBOY - lots of us enjoy your posts. All good wishes and keep yer chin up, lad!

Is my memory playing tricks because I mentioned this to someone my age the other day and they couldn't remember it but, didn't the National Anthem used to play at the end of the cinema's performance and everyone stood until it had finished, is it just me?

I'm sure that CHAIRBOY will know, good to see you here again, keep dropping by for us, it's good to see your informative posts.

Duffems

Is my memory playing tricks because I mentioned this to someone my age the other day and they couldn't remember it but, didn't the National Anthem used to play at the end of the cinema's performance and everyone stood until it had finished, is it just me?

I'm sure that CHAIRBOY will know, good to see you here again, keep dropping by for us, it's good to see your informative posts.

Duffems

Absolutely correct, in the same way that people removed headwear for such an air. It also was played to conclude viewing on BBC TV.

Remember the orange lollies entitled "The drink on a stick"?

Absolutely correct, in the same way that people removed headwear for such an air. It also was played to conclude viewing on BBC TV.

Remember the orange lollies entitled "The drink on a stick"?

I can remember my father standing up when the National Anthem was played on t.v. in a very Alf Garnet kind of way, oh the embarrassment!

Duffems

Just chatting the other day about the old picture palaces and how many i went to, and what i watched.

I remember me dad used to take me every monday night to a film i could choose so i would open the star to the 2nd page where they all were advertised and make my decision.

About 5 minutes after sitting down my dad used to fall asleep untill it was all over and he would wake up to the sound of all the seats folding back up again.

I seem to remember the one i used to go to regular were hillsboro cinema, and kinema, essoldo at lane top,the unity at the top of the street where i lived on langsett rd, the pavilion at attercliffe, the oxford at upperthorpe where i went to watch the matinees, i even think we went to the studio 7 in the wicker but i know i had to be careful which film i picked there because one or two had a few semi clad ladies in the films lol, I think there was the classic in fitzallen square and the odeon but i cant remember where that was.

I can only remember a few of the films i saw like "Cat ballou" "Shenandoah" " old yeller"...loads of tarzan and a few james bond. Cant for the life in me remember if i ever saw a cartoon though!!.

Saw Longest day and a few more war films but cant remember them all.....so its over to you all to say where you went and what did you see ..Oh and i never got to sit in the back row...it was allways full when i was a teenager!!

Funny how you can date some one by the name they call the theater in Fitzalan square, I remember it as The News Theater, but it go's back much further than that.....

Archived