Anyone still with British Gas?

Will British Gas have any customers left after their latest announcement.

Last price rise was 12% , this one will be higher..

I must admit that i have now had enough and will be moving on despite the fact that i swore never to change..

Are you staying , going or gone ??

I am staying.

They fixed my combi-boiler last year, which would have cost me about £500 and fixed my washing machine twice and repaired a leak on a radiator.

I pay about £25 a month for their insurance.

I get my electricity from them too I think.

I used to have gas with them, but then switched both gas and leccy to SWEB. On the change over day I phoned SWEB with my gas meter reading and they passed it Transco who then verified it and passed it on to British Gas. British Gas chose to ignore it and use an estimated reading that was hugely inaccurate (all previous estimated readings had all been fairly accurate). As a result they attempted to over-charge me by over £50. When I called to complain they actually told me that it didn't matter because I would just start with my new supplier at the estimated reading instead of the actual and I wouldn't have to pay for more gas than I'd used! When I pointed out that it did matter because they charged more per unit, I got the response "well, only a little bit more"!!

It was only because I kicked up a fuss about it that they actually accepted my reading from the day of the transfer and re-billed me. It actually took another 3 months for me to get up to the meter reading that British Gas had estimated! Because of this I don't think I'll ever go back to them. It just annoys me that they must get away with it so much with people who don't check their final bill too closely, or who don't complain and just pay up.

im still with british gas , i dont really save anything as im on a pre paid meter but i cant fault there repairs my boiler broke down on xmas eve last year and they came to fix it within the hour

• 6 years later...
Will British Gas have any customers left after their latest announcement.

Last price rise was 12% , this one will be higher..

I must admit that i have now had enough and will be moving on despite the fact that i swore never to change..

Are you staying , going or gone ??

Just been informed that gas will go up by 18% and electricity by 16%. Is there no one in Government who cares enough to stop this rip off . They along with oil companies seem to be able to please themselves as to what they charge us :confused:

I am back with them until October 1st,then it will be time to have another check.Thats 3 suppliers in 4 years,and as they all continued to supply gas and electricity,the only factor for me is the price.they all try to bamboozle you with different tariffs and rely on the customers inertia to keep business.

I fail to see what was the benefit to the customer of privatisation ,and I don't believe there is any true competition.

I am back with them until October 1st,then it will be time to have another check.Thats 3 suppliers in 4 years,and as they all continued to supply gas and electricity,the only factor for me is the price.they all try to bamboozle you with different tariffs and rely on the customers inertia to keep business.

I fail to see what was the benefit to the customer of privatisation ,and I don't believe there is any true competition.

Privatisation was made easy because people were suckered in believing it would keep prices low due to competition. It hasn't worked because of greed and some of knew it wouldn't.

Privatisation was made easy because people were suckered in believing it would keep prices low due to competition. It hasn't worked because of greed and some of knew it wouldn't.

What would the prices be if the energy companies were still nationalised?

Archived