Surrey and Sussex in Sheffield.

You can't help noticing the links between the South and Sheffield in the names of streets and places. I think this has something to do with a titled land owning family. Can someone enlighten me!

I live in Edenbridge, West Kent. I used to live just up the road in Limpsfield Village, Surrey. There is a Limpsfield Road and a Limpsfield School near the Meadowhall Shopping Centre. Oxted is the town next to Limpsfield. There is also an Oxted Road continuing from Limpsfield Road.

Just down the road from here is Sheffield Park; near Haywards Heath in Sussex. They have a neat steam railway there; The Bluebell Line, which is frequently seen in period TV dramas.

Kevin Taylor.

There are loads of names linked with the Talbots (the dukes of Norfolk) and their links to the imprisonment of Mary, Queen of Scots. (Talbot was her "gaoler" during her years in Sheffield)

There are associated names of roads on the Norfolk Park/ PArk areas, such as Guildford, Framlingham, Shrewsbury, etc, but it is not limited to that district.

In the city centre, we have Howard, Norfolk, Surrey, etc. (the dukes of Norfolk owned pretty much everything on that side of the city centre from the moor down, past the railway station, and up to norfolk park, manor and wybourn) and, from about Wellington Street, and up, it was the dukes of devonshire who owned the land, hence Devonshire St etc.

Isn't it lovely to live in a city with such history?

PT

Archived