Conservatives vow to bring back hunting with dogs

I have first hand knowlegde of it, I was taking a walk with some of my family on boxing day last year near Keswick when a hunt came past us chasing a fox. I also have the perspective of farmers as both of my parents come from farming families and neither are under the illusion that hunting with dogs is an effective way to control the fox population.

I'm more than happy to listen to alternatives to fox hunting. The problem in a lot of cases is no one ever gives a viable alternative, they just want hunting banned.

What do you see as a more effective method of control? A method that can pick out one or a few foxes from a large area and is not a blanket approach to the problem?

I had a big argument with someone who was pro fox hunting as being a city boy I thought the idea was horrible. Eventually after getting very drunk I agreed to go on one to see what it was like. Holding me to it I eventually went a month later. I have to admit it was fantastic fun and the farmers and country folk all loved us, never went again unfortunately as the ban quickly followed. Incidentally may mate had been going for years and said there may be better ways to control the foxes but none were as much fun...at least he was honest.

End the ban!!:thumbsup:

So he made you agree to it while you were drunk - unfair advantage and held you to it

Just shows how self-indulgent it is, they do it for fun, kill for fun - and that's good?

What do you see as a more effective method of control? A method that can pick out one or a few foxes from a large area and is not a blanket approach to the problem?

..a burly farmer, a few of his mates, a couple of Jack Russells and a couple of big nets-

...find the fox hole, dog down it, fox runs to escape, into the welcoming arms of burly farmer..job done!

A pack of dogs and 12 silly prats in hats is a bit of an overkill for 1 fox.

I live in the country and keep horses on a farm. Fox hunting with dogs is not an effective way of controlling them, only 1 in 4 or 5 hunts results in a kill. We have never had a problem with foxes killing chickens or lambs on the farm, mainly because there are plenty of rabbits for them to eat. We also ensure the chickens are kept in a secure pen and locked away at night.

We love to see the young fox cubs playing in the horses field on summer nights.

The hunt still comes through the farm but I used to send them in the opposite direction of the fox when they were in pursuit!

Yes I do. Is that a problem?

What serious fox hunters do is to use a whistle which mimicks a rabbit in agony, the fox is then shot from relative close range, all over in a few secs.

No need for the buffoons on horse back and packs of half-starved dogs to chase and exhaust the fox before ripping it to pieces, but where's the fun in that?

Just shows how self-indulgent it is, they do it for fun, kill for fun - and that's good?

All hunting is about killing animals for fun, what's the problem? I like to think I have an open mind and so I agreed to give it a go before I judged them. I've also been grouse shooting and gone to a bull fight and enjoyed them too.

It is a part of British culture and so there exists an argument for it to stay. I'm not sure it'll ever come back and it won't effect me in the slightest either way. The problem is it doesn't effect the majority who complain about it either but they manage to get all upset about it.:huh:

Archived