Conservatives vow to bring back hunting with dogs

What rot. My argument is that how can any decent human being derive enjoyment by watching innocent animals chased to exhaustion before being ripped to pieces by a pack of hounds. It says something about the Conservative Party when they want to bring this barbarity back via a free vote instead of letting the so-called sport be consigned to history.

A continued ban or the legalisation of hunting with hounds would have much more legitimacy if it was put to a free vote, rather than by party whip.

You understand my point then. To have such strong views on all forms of hunting/blood sports but then to happily eat meat is somewhat hypocritical considering its accepted on all sides intensive farming is far more inhumane.

Personally I'd be a lot more sympathetic to fox hunters if they didnt derive quite so much pleasure from the kill, and they tucked into some hearty fox steaks at the end of their escapades.

If you are claiming that foxes have intent, then that would give them the actus reus AND the mens rea, so you could have them prosecuted in court :D:hihi:
In fact foxes are reknowned for their cunning, which would imply they are of sound mind, you might be onto something there auto ;)

Personally I'd be a lot more sympathetic to fox hunters if they didnt derive quite so much pleasure from the kill, and they tucked into some hearty fox steaks at the end of their escapades.

Not all hunts derive the levels of pleasure many seem to think are the norm. Most hunts are in fact used to cull troublesome foxes within a certain area. Even the RSPB have called upon hunting groups to help reduce numbers of foxes in some areas that are killing off entire species of ground dwelling birds.

The fact remains that this law has protected no animals and the same number of foxes are being killed by other and more inhumane methods. Those who see the ban as a good thing are protecting innocent foxes, it’s actually the opposite as more foxes die now by means that ensures a slow and painful death.

So those who support the ban should stop using the animal cruelty angle and fess up to their real reasons for supporting such a ban, they don’t like to see (what they perceived as) posh people riding around the countryside hunting. The fox hunting ban was reverse snobbery and nothing more.

Not all hunts derive the levels of pleasure many seem to think are the norm. Most hunts are in fact used to cull troublesome foxes within a certain area. Even the RSPB have called upon hunting groups to help reduce numbers of foxes in some areas that are killing off entire species of ground dwelling birds.

I don't think that anyone have said that fox numbers can't be controlled.

Indeed I don't have a problems with hunts going out to shoot them if they are worrying farm animals.

My problem is when people feel the need to dress up in a red coat and top hat and make a 'day' out of killing these animals, even if they are pests.

The fact remains that this law has protected no animals and the same number of foxes are being killed by other and more inhumane methods. Those who see the ban as a good thing are protecting innocent foxes, it’s actually the opposite as more foxes die now by means that ensures a slow and painful death.

So those who support the ban should stop using the animal cruelty angle and fess up to their real reasons for supporting such a ban, they don’t like to see (what they perceived as) posh people riding around the countryside hunting. The fox hunting ban was reverse snobbery and nothing more.

where did you get this info from? Ilovewearingmyshinyredcoatandputtingheadsonthewallofmymansion.com

:hihi:

I don't think that anyone have said that fox numbers can't be controlled.

Indeed I don't have a problems with hunts going out to shoot them if they are worrying farm animals.

My problem is when people feel the need to dress up in a red coat and top hat and make a 'day' out of killing these animals, even if they are pests.

But you are putting your own dislike for nothing more than someone else’s emotional response before the wellbeing of the fox. Shooting is not as effective as hunting with dogs, in fact as most rural foxes are nocturnal and far more weary of humans then there city dog-fox counterparts, it is almost impossible for even the best marksman to ensure a clean kill. In a large proportion of cases the fox will escape and will likely be injured and take up to a day to die.

where did you get this info from? Ilovewearingmyshinyredcoatandputtingheadsonthewallofmymansion.com

:hihi:

If you want to know about how the RSPB have used fox hunts to help limit the damage caused by foxes to ground nesting birds, I suggest you try Google.

I gained my information on foxes and fox hunts from living in the countryside and living on and around farms. I also know what I know about fox hunting as I have taken part in the past.

Where do you gain your information from?

As I have stated before, I am not in favour of deer or stag hunting with hounds. I only support the idea of licensed fox hunts to control fox numbers.

So how come most hunts are always in the same areas - are the fox familys particulary chavvy in those areas?

They are not always in the same areas. Most hunts covered large areas spanning many farms and estates. That coupled with the responsibility not to wipe out an entire area foxes do breed. Fox hunts where also banned when a vixen could have young so as not to inadvertently kill off an entire brood.

The culling of foxes was a fine balance of local need to keep numbers down, but enough foxes in the area to maintain other vermin. It’s once fox numbers increase to a level where their natural prey is no longer plentiful they will venture into farms etc and start attacking or try to attack poultry mainly as well as lambs.

A single fox can do thousands of pounds worth of damage to livestock. This year alone the numbers of lost lambs has increased significantly especially in the south of the country.

If you want to know about how the RSPB have used fox hunts to help limit the damage caused by foxes to ground nesting birds, I suggest you try Google.

I gained my information on foxes and fox hunts from living in the countryside and living on and around farms. I also know what I know about fox hunting as I have taken part in the past.

Where do you gain your information from?

As I have stated before, I am not in favour of deer or stag hunting with hounds. I only support the idea of licensed fox hunts to control fox numbers.

Ok supposing I accept that dogs are the kindest way of killing a fox, why do people feel the need to take so much pleasure out of killing a living animal?

Archived