Conservatives vow to bring back hunting with dogs

serapis has been rather selective in his references to the Burns enquiry, ...
He also didn't mention the fact that the whole palaver was staged to distract attention away from the issue of invading Iraq

Remember all of the images of those red coats, horses and hounds, not to mention demonstrations in London saturating our televisions whilst the government quietly got on with an invasion

Strangely enough, there seems to be an inquiry into the half of this scenario that had been brushed under the carpet at the time :rolleyes:

serapis has been rather selective in his references to the Burns enquiry, here are the main points:

You do love to make a mountain out of a mole hill dont you :D

I have not been selective at all as I have not used the burns report to make any points. My reference to is only in connection to reasons why a chief executive had left the league against cruel sports.

However, you claim I'm selective but then go on to only quote the parts that you think will make the best impact :roll: Oh the irony.

For anyone who wants to read the Burns Inquiry report. Here is the official copy, un-doctored or edited by anyone .. even wednesday1 :hihi:

http://www.huntinginquiry.gov.uk/mainsections/report.pdf

does it really matter if fox hunting is brought back...the people who do it claim it is a sport...and maybe it is a snobbish sport...so what about the working class sport of hunting rabbits with dogs and ferrets should that be banned..and fishing...and shooting as a sport....or is it just the snobs your after...

life is cruel and some people enjoy this hunting game...

me i enjoy my sport that contains only humans except the horses and dogs that is...

Those working class people doing a bit of rabbiting are in fear of getting their dogs confiscated if they chase an hare.My lurcher cannot tell the difference between the two yet:hihi:

He also didn't mention the fact that the whole palaver was staged to distract attention away from the issue of invading Iraq

Remember all of the images of those red coats, horses and hounds, not to mention demonstrations in London saturating our televisions whilst the government quietly got on with an invasion

Strangely enough, there seems to be an inquiry into the half of this scenario that had been brushed under the carpet at the time :rolleyes:

Time spent debating the fox hunting bill = 700hrs

Time spent debating the Iraq War = 7hrs

The fox hunting ban has saved 0 foxes and they are now dying a more inhumane death. Anyone who wants to keep this law is either naive or only care about trying to put one up on people they perceive as being toffs, when in actual fact the people to have suffered are some of the lowest paid people in the country. This is shown by the numerous comments about red-coats and a total ignorance of the whole industry.

• Class and privilege - I'm no toff and the majority of people who participate are neither but I have been on hunts and was welcomed by all. - DEBUNKED
  • Saving foxes - Foxes are still dying because they need to be controlled. Now people are forced to either trap, gas, shoot or poison foxes. All of which cause a more painful and lingering death. - DEBUNKED

The simple fact that this bill has not saved any foxes should push people towards looking for a better solution. This is why I support licensed fox hunting so accountability can be brought in and the whole sport and culture can be transparent. We can also ascertain real figures on the numbers of foxes being culled so we can maintain the fox population and take action of numbers explode or retract dramatically, helping to preserve the countryside for all.

I'm not going to say anymore as those who are willing to listen to reason have probably already read this thread to death. I have answered every question and given detailed responses with alternative evidence also. This I have done many times, but the same responses come out from a select few who will not change their minds. They seem entrenched in their opinion, but I guess the real reasons for their dislike for the idea of a return to fox hunting has nothing to do with foxes, but is more socioeconomic.

I will answer direct questions by PM if anyone has any further questions for me, but remember, my support for fox hunting is for licensed hunts. I do not support stag or deer hunting or any other blood sports. Fox hunting is a cull of problem foxes caused by a lack of food in their territories. Keeping the numbers down means their attacks on farm animals are limited as well as removing the old and sickly foxes. This in turn helps the fox population as well as the farmers.

Fox hunting is a cull of problem foxes caused by a lack of food in their territories. Keeping the numbers down means their attacks on farm animals are limited as well as removing the old and sickly foxes. This in turn helps the fox population as well as the farmers.

Then why have some hunts been found to have active breeding programmes?

Seems to negate the whole "culling" argument and points to one solely to do with having fun.

Then why have some hunts been found to have active breeding programmes?

Seems to negate the whole "culling" argument and points to one solely to do with having fun.

That’s a very good question and one I don’t think I have commented on yet.

Fox hunting was born out of protecting livestock. Mainly lambs and poultry. Foxes are killing machines, they have an inherent switch that means once they can attack they will and continue to kill the animals as long as there are close enough. This is not the fault of the fox, it’s a evolutionary trait, but it puts foxes in direct opposition to farming techniques born out over thousands of years.

However, some hunts have moved beyond the need to cull and have bred foxes purely for the hunt. This is not the majority, but a small number and I for one do not support this in any way. Like I said, this is not the norm and only participated in by a small number of hunts. The likes of The League against cruel sports like to portray this as normal for all hunts, but that is simply not the case. The league have a vested interest in pushing the most unpalatable aspects to their supporters in order to gain sway.

In my view the 3rd way, to have licensed fox hunting would have helped to remove those who breed foxes for hunts from the industry and allow it to continue under scrutiny. A set of rules would be drawn up and the hunts would need to conform or lose their license.

Now I really am off :D

If you want to know about how the RSPB have used fox hunts to help limit the damage caused by foxes to ground nesting birds, I suggest you try Google.

I gained my information on foxes and fox hunts from living in the countryside and living on and around farms. I also know what I know about fox hunting as I have taken part in the past.

Where do you gain your information from?

As I have stated before, I am not in favour of deer or stag hunting with hounds. I only support the idea of licensed fox hunts to control fox numbers.

you mentioned statistics, I didn't. My knowledge also comes from living in the countryside with all the farmers.

You can't just use statistics from "living in the countryside":hihi:

Archived