Can Anyone Remember Handsworth Coal Mine

Hi bobman yes i am a Saxton and related to First World War veteran Leonard,I was born on Finchwell road in the house were Thomas Binney Saxton lived with Mary Ann. Ian Roker is my cousins Husband who live in Bournmouth Yes we are related my name is Malcolm son of Colin who is one of nine born in same house on Finchwell road What is your name

---------- Post added 20-01-2016 at 21:44 ----------

bobman Ricey is another relation she is my Cousin

Hello Malcolm

My name is bob green

Leonard to me is my 1st cousin 2 x removed

My mother is rose Birtles married t my dad also bob green

Her dad was Wilfred Birtles (he worked at nunnery pit)

His dad was Albert Birtles (also worked at nunnery)

Albert was the youngest of 12, his sister bein Mary, Mary married John saxton

Bob

---------- Post added 20-01-2016 at 23:21 ----------

Your dad to me is my 2nd cousin 1x removed so that makes you my 2nd cousin 2x removed

Bob

Yes my mother was Laura Saxton finchwelllad is my cousin when Leonard Osborne went to war he carved his name Into a stone in the wall of the Norfolk public house my brother has that stone I was born on hall road which is off finchwelllad road

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 18:06 ----------

My name is KIM Beverley is my cousin we will have to get in touch probably through Beverley n Ian Rooker .its will be good to here from you bob

Yes my mother was Laura Saxton finchwelllad is my cousin when Leonard Osborne went to war he carved his name Into a stone in the wall of the Norfolk public house my brother has that stone I was born on hall road which is off finchwelllad road

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 18:06 ----------

My name is KIM Beverley is my cousin we will have to get in touch probably through Beverley n Ian Rooker .its will be good to here from you bob

Is your dad George shutt

Bob

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 19:37 ----------

Just worked it out properly on ancestry

Malc and Kim, we are 3rd cousins

Sort of .i though he was father but my mother had a affair and had four children with him his name was Harold Williams I have know changed my name from Kim Shutt to Kim Williams George was not a nice person

---------- Post added 21-01-2016 at 22:23 ----------

I don't use Facebook if you ask Bevarley for Malcs phone number I will call him n give him my number

Better much later than never.........

The mines at the end of Bramley Avenue were called Bramley Hall No 2 and Smelterwood. They were operated by the Smelterwood Colliery Company and others including the Nunnery Colliery Co. The Smelterwood pit operated from 1920 to 1929 and Bramley Hall No 2 from 1938 to 1947. The Bramley HAll Pit was further down the Shirtcliffe Brook watercourse and operated from 1927 to 1938.

Lots more at this source:

http://nmrs.org.uk/mines/coal/maps/index.html

http://www.nmrs.org.uk/mines/coal/maps/england2.html

• 11 months later...

has anybody got any photoes of the pit cottages there were 3 off them my grandad lived there there names were hancocks my grandad was the cheif fire officer it the mine and was on the commitee at handsworth club there were 3 brothers bill ray and hank hank is my dad my grandad was william and his wife eva xx the shutts and saxtons lived on finchwell rd to

hi ricey my dad remembers len what is your proper name last time i saw laura we went on a day trip to skegness with handsworth club

---------- Post added 22-01-2017 at 16:59 ----------

hi alba my dad remembers len so does my mam what is your full name last time i saw laura it was with handsworth club a day trip to skegness ooo im talking bout 10yrs now we often take dad down finchwell rd to remaniss i remember the little stream and the tree which is still there

I'm Kim the youngest son I've moved from handsworth . We're do you live and what's your name were does your grandad live my sister still lives in our old house on Hall road . I can remember Hank well . Me and David and George Barnes once went to Hank's one Sunday he was melting down metal in the brick shed in there garden . Ask him ive he remembers . Finchwelllad is a Saxton

Edited by alba