Can Anyone Remember Handsworth Coal Mine

Without bringing this thread down or laughed at by all the skeptics,was there ever a tragedy at the pit.I got told they was, but not found anything about it.

Because I used to be the security guard on Sherwood’s formally Philips trucks and across the road on P.T.I. at the side of the original Asda store.

I have gone into more detail about strange goings on a thread about ghosts in Sheffield, and am convinced both places and the whole area is haunted.

Can anyone help me? me an a friend of mine went down to see the old FINCH WELL the other day to take some photos as I used to play down there as a child! to our horror we was approached by a local man who lives in the nearby last two pit houses at the end of the lane who went on to verbally attack us saying that the land around the well was private property the experience both left us shaken an scared as we tryed to explain that we was told the WELL add been renovated for the local community to enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Technological success has changed the life of everyone in the world and it has also changed the way coal mining companies explore and market coal. High-tech and safe exploitation and usage of coal is the demand of the 21st century.

Here is an information that might be useful: lincenergy dot us

Get ready for electricity rationing. The new nuclear power stations should have been started ten years ago, they will not be ready in time. Thatcher destroyed Coal mining in the UK and the steady and continuing decline since then means that the industry cannot now respond to our nation's energy needs. The UK power generators burned 40 million tonnes of coal in 2007, but UK coal mines produced only 6 million tonnes, which means that to keep our lights on we imported 34 million tonnes of coal (approximate figures).

Renewables (wind turbinees etc) are a political pipe dream, they will not produce the target of 20% 0f UK energy generation by 2020 (something like that). Make no mistake, the future is nuclear, with clean coal technology filling the gap for twenty years.

ricey

doyle,yes it was len who put the fish in the well. he was my father

Hi there ricey I went to school with you for a while.Let me explain,I lived on Badger farm for about 5years in the middle one of the 3 houses that fronted on to finchwell road opposite nuttalls scrap yard.We moved there from lincolnshire in about 1960 and as a kid I was amazed when I first saw the mucky miners passing the house on there way home at the end of their shift.Across the road from us Len's brother Colin lived in the end house of the terraced block and he had use of the stack yard accross the other side of the lane that led to nuttalls A jolly big chap as i recall.We spent many happy hours playing on the slag heaps behind the pit and I always thought that Len always put on the best bonfire night do's ever.His indoor fireworks were a hoot!

One of my strongest memorys was whatching a vet dissecting pigs on the farm when they had an outbreak of swine fever,Iseem to think the whole herd was slaughterd and buried in a field behind the pit next to what we used to call the dynamite sheds.

Anyway ricey I know its either you or your sister so let me know if I am right

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will find its the Jaffer family who since moving there have caused many problems with the area they think they own it but do not. since moving from down there my dad used to like to walk down to catcliffe and had several run ins with the Jaffers

Hi ricey I know its you now spoke to your brother the other day who confirmed.

I think its Eilleen that still lives in Colins house is that right and if so what about jez and malc are they still around?

I am back at the east coast now & have been since 1974.

By the way my family and I had a meal with your brother and your mum at worksop in about april 2006.

That should be a good clue to my identity

Hi. all. I'm a bit confused about about this thread, everybody seems to be talking about "The Nunnery" being located in the Handsworth area close to the Waverley pit, my dad worked at the Nunnery untill it closed & I have memories of going with him as a small child to collect his wages on pay day and it is my recollection that it was just off the junction of Manor Lane and Woodbourn Road, somewhere very near to where the Parkway now crosses, in fact I've still got an old A to Z of Sheff which shows a road off Manor lane called Nunnery Drive. He used to walk to work from our house in Fellbrig Rd. Arbourthorne, over the "eight foot" footpath from the bottom of Arbourthorne Rd, down Spring Lane then along a track beside City Rd cemetary, and down Manor Lane to get there, now I could be wrong about all this cos it was a long time ago, but are'nt the old memories much stronger than the more recent ones? Also my paternal grandad was killed in an explosion at the nunnery in April 1930 whilst working with my dad, and that's another reason to remember it. I am however quite prepared to be corrected about this if anyone can enlighten me.