Can Anyone Remember Handsworth Coal Mine

A very interesting thread which has jogged my memory back to the mid 40's/early 50's when I have a vague recollection of what I imagined to be a drift mine, in private ownership in Smelter Wood. This was accessed via a track into the wood from the rear of the block of shops on Bramley Park Road. I was only between the ages of 5 and 15 then but, before the Stradbroke estate was built, I used to ride my bike across there from what was Stubbin Lane (now Stradbroke Road) to Bramley Park Road to my riding lessons with Molly Bell. She lived next door to the Plaza with her dad, who was a road sweeper.

There was never very much activity at this mine, if indeed that is what it was, it was much as though it was being operated by a family of coal merchants and only in action when they needed more stock.

I would be much obliged if anyone can clarify this for me.

• 2 weeks later...
FREESTYLE

Are you a senior that moved down to woodhouse from the farm

ges and malc are still around me being the latter one collin daughters still live in the old house i have some photos of your old house by the way eileen wasnot colins daghter it was irene.

You got me Malc Well done! Moved on from woodhouse to east coast a long time ago.Would be very interested in fotos cause we lost any that we had in various house moves.I recall it was Irene now but sorry to say can't remember name of (younger?) sister.

Are you still local to area?

I remember playing on the old Waverley site when it was derelict, [mid 60's I reckon] all the buildings there were left as if the workers had just walked away,

I remember going into one open building with some lads who were older than me and seeing this bank of electrical switchgear similar to those on the old horror films.

Needless to say that we started moving the switches up and down.

Some minutes later an NCB van drove down the lane past the cottages, and chased us off, it turned out that the open substation was live and we had cut the power to Handsworth pit.

I also remember the drift below the cottages with the large metal gate over the entrance.

You could, I seem to recall see the lights and hear the voices of the workers from Handsworth down the slope.

I wondered if I have misrembered that but on reflection it does seem possible as they were very close together, Derelict pits were great playgrounds as we also played a lot at the derelict Nunnery site and slagheap [Where makro is now]

Hi there john

not moved far just round corner on halesworth road

there is a total of 4 sisters going down from top irene gerald malc

pamela diane and colete last two i dont think you know

e mail me your adress and i will send you some photos of the old farm

Hi again Malc Contact your cousin Mick he has all my contact details email,mob and land line.

Hi freestyle1, I used to live on Hall Road opposite Goodyear and Blackburns and our back garden backed onto Badgers Farm. Did your dad work on Badgers Farm. I used to knock about with Gerald, Dougie,Robert,Richard,Phil,Stewart just to name a few but the best one of the gang was my dog, spot who was well known in Handsworth.

Hi there john

not moved far just round corner on halesworth road

there is a total of 4 sisters going down from top irene gerald malc

pamela diane and colete last two i dont think you know

e mail me your adress and i will send you some photos of the old farm

Hi Malc, I used to knock around with Gerald, i'm trying to work out who freestyly1 is can you give me a hint.

Hi freestyle1, I used to live on Hall Road opposite Goodyear and Blackburns and our back garden backed onto Badgers Farm. Did your dad work on Badgers Farm. I used to knock about with Gerald, Dougie,Robert,Richard,Phil,Stewart just to name a few but the best one of the gang was my dog, spot who was well known in Handsworth.

Hi Doyle yes my dad did work on Badgers Farm he was the cowman.I don't know all the names you list but I think Dougie lived next door to us in 16a Finchwell road.Seem to remember he had an elder brother called Terry and a younger sister called Susan and possibly one other sister.

Sorry don't remember Spot the dog.

Incidently my first job after leaving school was at Goodyer Blackburns as an apprentice engineer but when Rolls Royce went bust we were all laid off!

Hi Doyle yes my dad did work on Badgers Farm he was the cowman.I don't know all the names you list but I think Dougie lived next door to us in 16a Finchwell road.Seem to remember he had an elder brother called Terry and a younger sister called Susan and possibly one other sister.

Sorry don't remember Spot the dog.

Incidently my first job after leaving school was at Goodyer Blackburns as an apprentice engineer but when Rolls Royce went bust we were all laid off!

Hi, cant place who you are, can you give me a hint or name, on pm if you prefer. By the way I am 57.