Who knows Holly Cottage, Nethershire Lane?

It's a detached house at the end of a long drive, so it's actually tucked well behind all the other houses on that road! I may be able to find out what other house numbers are nearby, so I'll post another reply as soon as I've got the info.

Thank you. It's my mum's brother that currently lives there. Apparantly a local historian went to see him the other day - I just wondered if it was anyone from this forum! :) My mum's parents bought the house from Mr Shaw in 1947, she has just informed me. She wanted to know when the house was actually built, but apparantly my uncle is going to apply for a copy of the deeds to establish this. Thank you for your help. :thumbsup:

• 17 years later...

Hi, I  have found this about 20 years too late for you guys. 

My grandad and grandma Mr and Mrs Shaw and their family used to live in Holly Cottage during the 1930's and 40s.  My grandad died not long after the cottage was sold but I know from when my grandma was alive, they loved the house and never forgot their time there.  I would be interested to know if you ever found out when the house was built?  The attached picture is from nearer to the time they lived there, with shutters and a front porch.

I don't know whether you are interested but my grandma used to hold a Spiritualist Chapel in the cottage that was well attended during their time living there. I have a Bible signed by one of the spiritualists who visited the chapel.Grandma Shaws holly_cottage

Edited by Margaret H

On 02/07/2005 at 16:45, Vick said:

I relative of mine wants to know how old this house is. Does anyone know it's history, or anything about previous residents?

Try the local history library on Surrey street.

You can check Kellys Directories there.

You could check the 1939 Register.

You could check the Electoral Rolls and Census.

You could see which years maps it is recorded on.