Are you made to feel like an outcast in the foreign country you live in?

Since SF seems to flooded with people getting on their high horse about legal and illegal immigrants, I though it was about time I asked British people abroad how they are treated. Do you feel welcome in the country you live in?

I've have only come across two people in the 18 months that I've been living in The U.S that disliked me because I'm a foreigner. I feel comfortable and at ease with people in this country:clap:

Originally posted by saxon51

Don't forget to remind them that they are foreigners too tulip - unless of course they are 'Native Americans';)

My husband is an American citizen so I let him point that out for me. Recently someone, without thinking said "there are too many foreigner in this country" my husband pointed out to the guy who's surname was o'conner that he didn't sound like a native American from his name:D

Originally posted by Ally68

I have yet to come across anyone in the 14yrs I've been here that made me uncomfortable because I'm English. I doubt very much that would be the case if we lived in England.

Judging from the posts I have been reading on SF, I'd have to say you are absolutely right!

Originally posted by tulip

Since SF seems to flooded with people getting on their high horse about legal and illegal immigrants, I though it was about time I asked British people abroad how they are treated. Do you feel welcome in the country you live in?

I've have only come across two people in the 18 months that I've been living in The U.S that disliked me because I'm a foreigner. I feel comfortable and at ease with people in this country:clap:

we have lived here in spain for a few years now and i must say i don´t remember anyone making us feel unwelcome although i have to admit it is europe so that may make a difference

the one time i do recall a couple of years ago a friend was called an English pig" but that was by a policeman who he had a run in with and i don´t know the circumstances the one main thing i have found is that you get far more help if you at least try to speak the language even if it is only a few words problem is there is more than 1 spanish and it is sometimes difficult to define the difference but in general we think it is ok

Originally posted by GJ2004

we have lived here in spain for a few years now and i must say i don´t remember anyone making us feel unwelcome although i have to admit it is europe so that may make a difference

the one time i do recall a couple of years ago a friend was called an English pig" but that was by a policeman who he had a run in with and i don´t know the circumstances the one main thing i have found is that you get far more help if you at least try to speak the language even if it is only a few words problem is there is more than 1 spanish and it is sometimes difficult to define the difference but in general we think it is ok

We were going to move to spain but it had gotten too expensive by the time we were ready to move. I really like were we live, it's a small community and most people are warm and friendly - good thing since I don't seem to be able to post anything on here without someone having a go at me:D

I've worked in a few foreign countries and , generally speaking , people in those countries are friendly.

However , when British people go to work or live in a foreign country , it is usually either on a contract or they have to go through the procedures , if they are going to be citizens of that country. The locals know this and know that their country has often asked the person to come and work there.[as in the case of teachers or engineers].

However , I don't know what their attitude would be if you were there illegally or if you committed an offence whilst you were there. Also , I'm not sure how much help you'd get if you arrived there illegally and applied for financial help from the State.

Also , the vast majority of people living or working in foreign countries , in my experience , are pretty meticulous about respecting the country they're in and obeying the law and customs.

I was living in a small town in Saudi and during evening prayers , I was sitting outside at a cafe table , having a smoke. A Religous Police Officer came up and told me in a very aggressive way to not smoke , during prayer time. I put it out , as I'd heard one or two things about Saudi prisons. Later , some Saudi friends told me I could have ignored him but when you're alone .........It shows that you have to be careful and when Brits do break the law or behave badly abroad , they get treated just as roughly ------or worse-------than foreigners who break our laws. I think the same goes for the friendliness on a personal level too.

Archived