Are you made to feel like an outcast in the foreign country you live in?

I think you mean the French set, Cuttsie? A sect is a religious offshoot. Anyhow, I get along fine with them. Quebec City is one of the nicest places to visit. Can't say I've ever lived in la belle province though.

The Quebecois do things differently from English Canada though and sometimes I'm glad of it. Like in the last federal election, they all decided to vote NDP ( = British Labor party), insuring that our ultra right wing Conservative government at least has some decent opposition. One candidate never bothered to show up in the riding that she contested, doesn't even live there, and was on holiday in Los Vegas. They voted her in. :hihi:

Apart from a year in Newfie, all of the rest of the nine years I spent in Canada were in Quebec, mostly in Montreal, my favorite city in the world, and 2 years in New Richmond on the Gaspe Peninsula. I speak fluent french, but the Montreal accent had me beat for a while. It is called Joual, the Montreal way of saying cheval, in other words horse language. Quebec City has a much cleaner accent. Much of the eastern townships bordering Vermont are loyalist settlements speaking English. The Seperatist movement, led by Rene Levesque, caused a lot of problems in the seventies when the Quebec government banned adverts in English, and insisted Companies had to conduct their business in French, including business letters to the US and elsewhere. When Pratt and Whitney threatened to move their Longueil engine plant to Ontario, Quebec backed down. That was the start of Toronto taking over as the major city in Canada, something that Montreal had always considered itself.

Very true! I lived in the South of England for many years, my accent sounds very mixed up by now, at first people kept taking the ****, and laughing at my accent. I live in small town America now, and people here love the way I speak, especially the way I say 'tomatoes'. :D
I haven't eaten a tomarto in a long time, though I like a nice big Californian termayter now and then.:)

Apart from a year in Newfie, all of the rest of the nine years I spent in Canada were in Quebec, mostly in Montreal, my favorite city in the world, and 2 years in New Richmond on the Gaspe Peninsula. I speak fluent french, but the Montreal accent had me beat for a while. It is called Joual, the Montreal way of saying cheval, in other words horse language. Quebec City has a much cleaner accent. Much of the eastern townships bordering Vermont are loyalist settlements speaking English. The Seperatist movement, led by Rene Levesque, caused a lot of problems in the seventies when the Quebec government banned adverts in English, and insisted Companies had to conduct their business in French, including business letters to the US and elsewhere. When Pratt and Whitney threatened to move their Longueil engine plant to Ontario, Quebec backed down. That was the start of Toronto taking over as the major city in Canada, something that Montreal had always considered itself.

That is really interesting Buck, I had no idea. I have visited Toronto many times, it is beautiful, will have to venture further afield I think, next time to compare.

That is really interesting Buck, I had no idea. I have visited Toronto many times, it is beautiful, will have to venture further afield I think, next time to compare.

Toronto beautiful? Guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I much prefer Ottawa as a city with style and amenities in Ontario. I also like Montreal, the old part of the city especially, but Quebec City is for me the nicest city in Quebec. Elsewhere in Canada, Vancouver has a spectacular mountainous backdrop but it's become far too ghettoized with too many high rises in recent years. Saskatoon surprised me as a fairly decent spot when I visited it. Then, of course, there are some great spots in the Maritime provinces. Halifax is a very nice city.

Only Brits seem snobbish about where people come from and their accent, Americans don't look down on any ones accent, i doubt if others countries do either, just England.

The class system still rules in England .The old John Cleese sketch on i,m upper class and look down on him is alive and kicking they just keep it a bit quiete these days so as not to upset the peasants to much.

Archived