Does Sheffield seem too small for a city?

Have I been on this forum too long, or is the the third time in recent months that we've had this very provacative subject offered up for discussion? Where's the 'yawwwnnnnn' icon when you need it?

Sheffield is as big as it is, and has approximately half a million people crammed into its obviously extremely small boundaries ... :rolleyes:

:D

eta: it is not bigger than Glasgow. :)

eta: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=504365&highlight=Sheffield+small+city knew I'd seen it all before somewhere! ;)

Edited by rubydazzler

Its the poor cousin of Leeds. Rubbish shopping and feels like a village. It's got the friendliest folk in the UK though so its not all bad.

True. If it didn't have friendly folk, nice pubs and the peaks nearby then the place wouldn't even be worth a mention.

I much prefer Leeds to be honest. It feels like a city. Much more to do, better shops, better restraunts, better nightlife, etc.

there is a lot that could be done to the city centre to give it that cosmopolitan aspect and i have my fingers crossed that sevenstone will indeed start the redevlopements and bring something different to the city. saying that, none of the locals want change, its a bit royston vasey of them when they start about the good old days, the egg box and such.

there is a lot that could be done to the city centre to give it that cosmopolitan aspect and i have my fingers crossed that sevenstone will indeed start the redevlopements and bring something different to the city. saying that, none of the locals want change, its a bit royston vasey of them when they start about the good old days, the egg box and such.

Yeah, people need to move on. Sheffield will never be the city it once was. It's time for change.

Whats with all the jealousy towards Leeds? Yeah it's a better city. Now move on.

Edited by mpchooligan

What about Tideswell? That's classed a city, isn't it?

It is not, though the local church has long been informally known as "the Cathedral of the Peak."

(Having a Cathedral doesn't make you a city either; Southwell is not a city.)

I think we've had this discussion before even since I arrived in May; a city and an urban conglomeration are not the same thing. Sheffield doesn't have an urban conglomeration attached to it; you've got the city and nothing else. Even Rotherham is separated from it by a honking great motorway.

What people think of as "big cities" are nothing of the kind, they're urban conglomerations such as Greater Manchester, or the West Midlands ("Birmingham" includes Wolverhampton, Sandwell, West Bromwich, among others...) Sheffield may well be the fourth-largest in term of the area, and population, within the boundary of the city council. It's a long way down the list of large urban areas.

Sheffield may seem a lesser city because it lacks the cosmopolitan areas and attractions places like leeds and Manchester have...personally i think this is a good thing, it sets Sheffield apart which combined with the peak district and green space, makes Sheffield truly unique.