Does Sheffield seem too small for a city?

When I say Sheffield seems too small for a city, I didn't mean this in any derogatory way, it's probably because of it's landscape and close proximity to the Peak district.

And although it's boundary in size maybe bigger which make it the 4th biggest in UK, other cities like Glasgow for example feel so much more like a city with it's layout, architecture along with the buzz of all the hustle and bustle about the place.

It is not, though the local church has long been informally known as "the Cathedral of the Peak."

(Having a Cathedral doesn't make you a city either; Southwell is not a city.)

I think we've had this discussion before even since I arrived in May; a city and an urban conglomeration are not the same thing. Sheffield doesn't have an urban conglomeration attached to it; you've got the city and nothing else. Even Rotherham is separated from it by a honking great motorway.

What people think of as "big cities" are nothing of the kind, they're urban conglomerations such as Greater Manchester, or the West Midlands ("Birmingham" includes Wolverhampton, Sandwell, West Bromwich, among others...) Sheffield may well be the fourth-largest in term of the area, and population, within the boundary of the city council. It's a long way down the list of large urban areas.

Wolverhampton is a City in its own right. West Bromwich is a separate town.

Edited by donuticus

Sheffield has hardly any museums, theres the odd one dotted about but when you've seen it, you've seen it in my eyes. I like the feel of Sheffield but it isn't the most exciting place to be. I like to go upto Manc to see my friends, I love the appeal of the city! They have EVERYTHING, everything bad also but their shops are great also as well as good choice of High Street, they have Kings Street mmmm - Vivienne Westwood, Barbour, Armani to only name a few... the list is endless and that isn't mentioning the Trafford centre. Manchester has China Town with a vast array of Asian restaurants and bars, not to mention everything else the city holds. Manc's gigs and artists beat Sheffield a million times over. Sheffield lacks what every other 'big' city has.

Comedy festival is here in Sheffield.......that isn't anything to shout about as it ruddy well should be here!!

Sheffs a great city don't get me wrong, what other place can boast amazing countryside right on its door-step, friendly welcoming people, greenery everywhere you go and a good sense of community? it is a bit small though, shopping sux, nightlife is very hit and miss and its a bit parochial at times if you like big cities.

Once you've lived here a while it kind of feels like a goldfish bowl!

Just wondered what you all thought, as to me it seems too small to be the 4th largest city, even though technically it's bigger than Leeds, Liverpool and Glasgow, Sheffield seems and feels so much smaller.

brilliant innit :)

know what you mean - the biggest village in engerrrland it is :D

Sheffs a great city don't get me wrong, what other place can boast amazing countryside right on its door-step, friendly welcoming people, greenery everywhere you go and a good sense of community? it is a bit small though, shopping sux, nightlife is very hit and miss and its a bit parochial at times if you like big cities.

Once you've lived here a while it kind of feels like a goldfish bowl!

I walked down Oxford Street on Wednesday. What amazed me (okay, I exaggerate) is that there was nothing there that I couldn't have found in Sheffield.

True. If it didn't have friendly folk, nice pubs and the peaks nearby then the place wouldn't even be worth a mention.

I much prefer Leeds to be honest. It feels like a city. Much more to do, better shops, better restraunts, better nightlife, etc.

get on your bike and go to leeds