Does Sheffield seem too small for a city?

i agree shff does seem a bit small for a city . obviously some people will start tto press the reply button in disgreement but i am comparing to other cities i have been to . i would class it as a more of an urban town . if you want village , go to derby . nice views classic traditional buildings there .

eh!

i didnt realise cities had to be homogenous.

unqualified idiot

We should make a megathread for people who feel this town ain't big enough for the both of them ... :hihi:

I like a good night out in Manchester, Leeds or Nottingham, but I'd never want to live in any of them.

Sheffield's got better night life than East London anyway imo ;)

Mchooligan

Are you working for the Leeds tourist board, all you have done is slag of the City of Sheffield if you don;t like it move, to your beloved Leeds

You say we don't have the shops that Leeds have take asway Harvey Nicholls and IKEA what shops do they have then.

We have the Arena Leeds don't

We have the English Institute of Sport Leeds don't

We host world attheletic events at the Don Valley Stadium, Leeds dont

We have two Chamnpionship football team and the World-s oldest team Leeds don't

The Peak district does fall into the boundarys of Sheffield not Leeds

So open your eyes not only do we outdo Leeds in every department except one we do not promote Sheffield and I think most Sheffielders like it that way.

Rant over

Leeds has a complex because it doesnt match to up to Sheffield in any way shape or form. I should know Ive worked in Leeds for 10 years.

Leeds has better retailing and.......errr...umm...no thats it.

Sheffield is too small. They could easily extend Sheffield by flattening Chesterfield to make room. We could then relocate the crappy areas like Haymarket and The Moor onto the new land, therefore cleaning Sheffield of all the tramps and scum.

After all, no-one goes to Chesterfield do they. And we would be doing the Chesterfield folk a favour. They could move into Derby:)

Vote 'WarPig' at the next elections!

Sheffield is too small. They could easily extend Sheffield by flattening Chesterfield to make room. We could then relocate the crappy areas like Haymarket and The Moor onto the new land, therefore cleaning Sheffield of all the tramps and scum.

After all, no-one goes to Chesterfield do they. And we would be doing the Chesterfield folk a favour. They could move into Derby:)

Vote 'WarPig' at the next elections!

And then we could build a really high wall around the new area, to keep them penned in.

We could call the new area 'Scrotefield'.

There are some years old threads on this debate.

Sheffield is a medium size city and pretty good for English cities in the same rank. I'd put Sheff in the 3rd tier of English cities - alongside Leeds, Liverpool, Nottingham, Bristol etc. The second rank is just Manchester and Birmingham, with London obviously way out in front as number 1 as it is a massive city of global importance and our capital. If you are talking UK rather than England, then Glasgow would go in the 2nd tier too.

I wish people wouldn't keep going on about Sheff being the '4th largest city in England' because it just doesn't measure up to being in this bracket and makes us look a bit silly (although correct on one measure of cities). It's just a fluke of the local authority boundaries. The 'City of London' is a really small place but would anyone claim 'London' is a small city? The City of Manchester' is smaller than 'City of Sheffield' by the population in the local authority boundary measurement, but that only illustrates how that yardstick is no good in reality. The urban area of Manchester is clearly England's second city (sorry Birmingham) and much bigger than Sheff - with all that entails, good and bad.

Sheffield sometimes feels a bit small and lacking in some amenities/facilities because it is isolated (by the hills) and not physically joined on to any other urban bits apart from Rotherham. So Sheffield seems largely just for Sheffielders - even people in the Peaks/Derbyshire suburbs or the Donny and Barnsley hordes don't swarm into Sheffield night after night, they mainly stay in their own towns. Sheff is not the meeting point for an entire region in the same way as Manchester or Leeds are. The rail network we have doesn't help us though.

But so what? It's a bloody great place to live and those other places are easy to get to!

And then we could build a really high wall around the new area, to keep them penned in.

We could call the new area 'Scrotefield'.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll find it already exists inside the Sheffield area.

I know, but implementing my idea would drastically reduce the number of scroates in Sheffield.