Does Sheffield seem too small for a city?

I wish people wouldn't keep going on about Sheff being the '4th largest city in England' because it just doesn't measure up to being in this bracket and makes us look a bit silly (although correct on one measure of cities).

There is only one measure of cities. You, like so many others, are misunderstanding what a city is, and mistaking it for "urban area."

eh!

i didnt realise cities had to be homogenous.

unqualified idiot

eh ,who are you to say unqualified idiot . seems we have a troll to sser here .

like i said , sheffield does seem more of an urban town but you took some quite of offennce to some non existant insult . get a life insecure idiot . seems you have never been to a city .

eh ,who are you to say unqualified idiot . seems we have a troll to sser here .

like i said , sheffield does seem more of an urban town but you took some quite of offennce to some non existant insult . get a life insecure idiot . seems you have never been to a city .

Well, not to say you're the idiot, but you obviously haven't really understood the definition of what a city is :hihi:

How many 'urban' towns have two universities, two major football teams, two art galleries and museums, not to mention a population in excess of half million? :rolleyes:

There is only one measure of cities. You, like so many others, are misunderstanding what a city is, and mistaking it for "urban area."

There is obviously more than one measure - several in fact - hence the continued confusion as people refer to different ones to prove/disprove whatever they are trying to say. The local council district is only part of the answer.

I'm saying that a single local authority boundary definition of a city clearly doesn't make sense in reality (e.g. London doesn't fit in the model at all, Doncaster is bigger than Newcastle? Sheffield is bigger than Manchester? etc), so we need a wider definition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population

Arguing about the size of a city is pretty pointless - as already pointed out the "City" of London is about ten square feet, most of which being churches, and has a resident population of five people who all go to their second homes in Hampshire at the weekend. The definition of "Sheffield" used by statistics wonks is unusually large; the bit of the world between Lodge Moor and the M1 is a lot smaller than that.

As far as regional cities go Sheffield is second tier. It puts up a respectable performance against the likes of Leeds and Manchester, comfortably beats the likes of Nottingham, and loses against Glasgow and Birmingham.

Sheffield's biggest problem is that it doesn't have a reputation in the rest of the country for anything beyond unemployment and a couple of scrappy football teams. However the Grin Up North festival was advertised all over the Tube so the people in charge are at last trying to change things.