Does Sheffield seem too small for a city?

Its the poor cousin of Leeds. Rubbish shopping and feels like a village. It's got the friendliest folk in the UK though so its not all bad.

I can agree with the state of shopping; Leeds has markets to die for; if only Sheffield can get cracking on some decent new markets on the proposed site in Moorfoot!

Strangely, also Sheffield has a rather small Gay Scene in comparison to most other towns/cities of the same size; for instance, Leeds has a proper 'Gay Village' area, although most of it is owned by the prime mover in Leeds Gay scene, Terry George. Here in Sheffield, we have a handful of scattered venues, although we DO have some great one-nighters such as the monthly CLIMAX, billed as 'The biggest Gay Night in Yorkshire' and still going strong after over 10 years! As all the gay venues are really scattered, it is a strange and ever-changing gay scene nevertheless.

Re. Sheffield being the '4th biggest city', I think that applies to England; Glasgow (and possibly also Belfast) are larger, which would make Sheffield the 5th or 6th biggest in Britain as a whole.

I remember recently some reference to Houston, Texas as being the 4th biggest city in the USA, after New York, LA, and (I think) Chicago. However, again, that seems really odd, as there are plenty of huge cities in the US which must be larger than Houston. Maybe in that case it is due to administrative boundaries or the actual area of land each city takes up...

I remember recently some reference to Houston, Texas as being the 4th biggest city in the USA, after New York, LA, and (I think) Chicago. However, again, that seems really odd, as there are plenty of huge cities in the US which must be larger than Houston.
According to this, obviously not. Maybe it's another Sheffield, appearing by some magical ability to be smaller than it actually is! :D

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

I remember recently some reference to Houston, Texas as being the 4th biggest city in the USA, after New York, LA, and (I think) Chicago. However, again, that seems really odd, as there are plenty of huge cities in the US which must be larger than Houston. Maybe in that case it is due to administrative boundaries or the actual area of land each city takes up...

In terms of land area, the biggest city in the USA is Jacksonville. They shoved their city boundary outwards to include a few thousand square miles of swamp.

Not even that; not all cities have cathedrals and not all cathedrals are in cities.
I have a feeling that when it's decided to make a town into a city, they nominate one of the central churches to become a cathedral? When Sheffield received city status in 1894/7, the parish church was reclassified as the Cathedral. Although St Mary's down at Bramall Lane seems a much bigger and grander church, it's too far out of the centre to be eligible.

In terms of land area, the biggest city in the USA is Jacksonville. They shoved their city boundary outwards to include a few thousand square miles of swamp.

yeah that sounds about right, Like in Sheffield where a big chunk of the peak District is within the city boundary, seems silly to me though as it just costs more money which SCC have to be responsible for.

What amenities and facilities would you find in Manchester that you don't find in Sheffield?

Manchester excels in Museums, modern and old archictecture, free football traning facilties for kids in some areas, shopping facilities, China town - although it's not as good as Liverpools, trams - when the improvements finish, free swimming lessons for kids i beleive, and a airport, plus it's nightlife is considered marginally better.

Sheffield wins on green spaces, parks, Park Hill flats, unique landscape, hills, Peace Gardens, woodland and used a to win on having a lower crime rate and been more liberal.

yeah that sounds about right, Like in Sheffield where a big chunk of the peak District is within the city boundary, seems silly to me though as it just costs more money which SCC have to be responsible for.

How's that then ? They certainly don't bother doing any road maintenance out here in the sticks, no street lighting to worry about - just the bins to empty once a week. They didn't even bother with the once a year verge mowing this year apart from some of those at road junctions, and then it was only after we complained that they were dangerous.

Just wondered what you all thought, as to me it seems too small to be the 4th largest city, even though technically it's bigger than Leeds, Liverpool and Glasgow, Sheffield seems and feels so much smaller.

City size doesn't go on the size of the city centre, it goes on the overall size, outskirts etc... Sheffield City centre is depressingly small with nothing in it, but it gets away with being ok by having areas outside the city with more to do, like Ecclesall Road and London Road for the restaurants...