Does Sheffield seem too small for a city?

Manchester excels in Museums, modern and old archictecture, free football traning facilties for kids in some areas, shopping facilities, China town - although it's not as good as Liverpools, trams - when the improvements finish, free swimming lessons for kids i beleive, and a airport, plus it's nightlife is considered marginally better.

Sheffield wins on green spaces, parks, Park Hill flats, unique landscape, hills, Peace Gardens, woodland and used a to win on having a lower crime rate and been more liberal.

I went to Liverpool China town in August and hardly anything was open - in fact it all looked derelict??? Has Liverpool got two??? Would love to know where it is now, as we were really disappointed and got back on the train to Manchester when we were ready to get some dinner...

Not even that; not all cities have cathedrals and not all cathedrals are in cities.

All cities have a cathedral or a minster - If you know otherwise, it'd be interesting to look into why the place you know is a city when it has neither... This is the milestone of a city, and the reason why you get market towns that are listed as cities, as well as somewhere like Doncaster that has had to have St George's relisted as a minster so that they can reapply for city status...

Three is obviously a lot of people who don't know what the measure is - and don't even know what a city is, come to that - and keeping talking about urban conglomerations as cities, which is simply wrong.

Perhaps you mean urban agglomeration?

Have another think about it.

Many definitions of a city are used for different purposes. Yours - the textbook, 'correct', no-other-definitions-exist version - often isn't very useful (but councillors cling to it if it makes them feel important). By this definition Wakefield is a big city of national importance (it's barely important even within West Yorkshire), Newcastle-upon-Tyne is small compared to the mighty Wigan, the entire population of London would fit inside Bramall Lane, our national government and head of state are based in another city near to London called Westminster...etc etc Have you got it yet?

I went to Liverpool China town in August and hardly anything was open - in fact it all looked derelict??? Has Liverpool got two??? Would love to know where it is now, as we were really disappointed and got back on the train to Manchester when we were ready to get some dinner...

I went there for the Chinese new year back in their 2007 and it was brilliant, loads of buildings getting refurbished at that time though but not just in China town, it starts where that great big arch entrance is, i think it's on Nelson Street.

City size doesn't go on the size of the city centre, it goes on the overall size, outskirts etc... Sheffield City centre is depressingly small with nothing in it, but it gets away with being ok by having areas outside the city with more to do, like Ecclesall Road and London Road for the restaurants...

the water feature down by the railway station along with the the Peace and Winter Gardens really lift Sheffield city centre as well.

How's that then ? They certainly don't bother doing any road maintenance out here in the sticks, no street lighting to worry about - just the bins to empty once a week. They didn't even bother with the once a year verge mowing this year apart from some of those at road junctions, and then it was only after we complained that they were dangerous.

It's still there responsibilty, the land has to be maintained, from providing accessible paths, drystone walling, clearing up fly tipping, road markings ete etc Is all SCC's responsibility if it's in their boundary.

I suppose in some ways though it could work in their favour though, ie a bigger entititlement to money to more of the money from central government.