Which is the worst pub in Sheffield?

Nicesheff

I can understand why folks don't like the Sheaf. There's no gaming machines and flashing lights to amuse the simple, no crap pissy lager for £1.50 a pint to satisfy pikies, no massive TVs showing football to generate fights and no generic pub food menu to dilute the point of being in a pub.

I'd rather be in the Penguin and get told to **** off by a bunch of teenage girls at 3pm or maybe the John O'Gaunt where you can be sure the landlady will "let" you have a half before the "boys" arrive. "They wont like you, you'd better go", really?

Easy . The Sheaf View.

Went round Heeley for the first time for ages, 30/10/09, went in White Lion, fine. Decided to walk up to The Shakespeare, but the pub was closed so we walked down to The Sheaf View. After my eyes had adjusted to the lighting,which must be an early guide to aircaft approaching Manchester Airport,I ordered a pint of hilariously named ale for my brother, and then asked , in a most polite manner, for "the nearest thing you have to an ordinary lager please" . The barmaid responded haughtily " do you mean the cheapest ?" I pointed out that I had more than enough cash on my person to buy any of their products.

"Do you mean the blandest then ?" replied this paragon of charm.

I eventually ended up with a pint of , I believe,Flensburger lager, which was amazingly for a pub that prides itself on delivering a quality product, too warm.

The place has no atmosphere, it doesn't feel like a real pub, the clientele are a curious mixture of "real alers" and members of the lower orders, the staff are rude and santimonious, otherwise it's a great place.

Have to admit am not keen on the place.

Just cause you dont like their type of beer does not mean they should look down on you,I can't stand real ale but I have no objection to people who like it.

I also agree the place is way to bright and dont like the lay out of the place at all.

Easy . The Sheaf View.

Went round Heeley for the first time for ages, 30/10/09, went in White Lion, fine. Decided to walk up to The Shakespeare, but the pub was closed so we walked down to The Sheaf View. After my eyes had adjusted to the lighting,which must be an early guide to aircaft approaching Manchester Airport,I ordered a pint of hilariously named ale for my brother, and then asked , in a most polite manner, for "the nearest thing you have to an ordinary lager please" . The barmaid responded haughtily " do you mean the cheapest ?" I pointed out that I had more than enough cash on my person to buy any of their products.

I eventually ended up with a pint of , I believe,Flensburger lager, which was amazingly for a pub that prides itself on delivering a quality product, too warm.

The place has no atmosphere, it doesn't feel like a real pub, the clientele are a curious mixture of "real alers" and members of the lower orders, the staff are rude and santimonious, otherwise it's a great place.

this has to be one of the best pubs ive ever been in, not just in sheffield but in the uk. the staff are well trained and very knowledgeable about their products, and ive never walked away from the bar without a smile on my face having had a bit of friendly banter with them. it has an amazing out doors area/smoking area, great for taking the dog on a summers day. no loud Aargs!! "Artificial atmosphere replacement generators" fruit/quiz machines, pool, tvs etc to have to shout over. you are right it is a curious mixture of clientele, but i take that as a positive thing, its not often you find a pub with such a diverse range of people, with no trouble. oh, and the beer is great and fairly priced.

I'd rather be in the Penguin and get told to **** off by a bunch of teenage girls at 3pm or maybe the John O'Gaunt where you can be sure the landlady will "let" you have a half before the "boys" arrive. "They wont like you, you'd better go", really?

where is this penguin place? worth a night out?

where is this penguin place? worth a night out?

Heh Heh!!

It's in Shiregreen.

Thing is, pubs can go through good and bad times depending on management. I bet the old Penguin used to be a great place to go....might even be now (my experience was a few years ago now) but when I passed through it was rotten.

I really like the Sheaf View (see above post) for example, but not too long ago it was run by a horrible cretin who put off a lot of punters.

I can understand why folks don't like the Sheaf. There's no gaming machines and flashing lights to amuse the simple, no crap pissy lager for £1.50 a pint to satisfy pikies, no massive TVs showing football to generate fights and no generic pub food menu to dilute the point of being in a pub.

Must have been a while since that happened - or you are a really....no, we wont go into that :hihi:

Easy . The Sheaf View.

Beardy weirdies & chavs then :hihi:

Archived