Where to take goth/rock mates tonight (sunday)

I have a couple of mates visiting and i'm desperately seeking a pub/bar/club to take them to this evening. The Nelson would've been perfect, but is closed, so i'm stuck.

I've had the Dev Cat suggested to me, but do they have music playing in there ? If so, what type ? I tried to look at The Grapes website to see if owt special is on tonight, but it's not working at the mo.

I go to Corp fairly regularly, and just wonder where the heck all those people go for a few tinnies on a Sunday night ?? Somewhere that we're not gonna get gawped at for having black hair and a couple of piercings ;)

Any ideas ?? we plan to go out about 8ish, so i'll keep checking here up til then if anyone has any suggestions :D

I used to go to Corp when I was at uni, back in the day when it was behind the cathedral. The pre-drinking pub was always the Dove and Rainbow, which is also tucked away behind the cathedral.

If it's a quiet drink where you can talk that you're after, that's your place. Go through the Bankers Draft and out the back entrance and the Dove and Rainbow is next door.

Don't hold me responsible if it's closed down though! Haven't been there for about a year!

I'm sure the Dove and Rainbow is open every night, and is full of an alternative crowd.

Other than that, The Grapes. A live venue upstairs, it is on trippet lane and I am sure someone is playing a gig tonight advertised on this forum?

It is very much a rock pub with 3 rooms and an old fash. corridor bar on the ground floor and a gig room up the stairs. There is also a beer garden out the back which is great on a warm evening.

The devonshire Cat has no music, and looks rather like a hotel Bar but much busier and with an incredible selection of Drinks.

You can walk from the Dove and Rainbow to the Grapes in about 7-10 mins if you fancy a change.

Ta for the info :) Aye, i've been to The Grapes a couple of times, I like it, but D&R DEF looks better ! (or more rock n roll heheheh)

Might try calling the D&R actually, the websire has listing for mon-sat. Maybe sunday just doesnt have a specific theme/DJ or whatever, I dunno.

<edit> Just called the pub, it's open ! Hurrah !!! :D

I know upstairs of The Grapes opens at 8 when bands are on, dunno about when the actual pub opens though.

Dove & Rainbow is a fantastic venue - can't believe i've never been !!! It was fairly dead tonight, but a few punks and a couple of rockers were in. Feels like a proper rock n roll pub like the one i used to frequent in London. Hurrah - a new place for me to go :D

Hi pauline I'm glad you like the D&R, on a saturday, or Fri it is chocker with punks and rockers, wall to wall tattoes and face piercing. Most of the week it is a very lively pub... Very much a punk and Alternative place. Some other Bars in town are more Rock.

I go there quite often and think it's a great place (although I do wish they'd sort out a cover for the loft access thats just above of of the cubicles in the ladies loos, loads of girls mention it) Great venue, great atmosphere and reasonable prices..........can't go wrong really!

I heard about D&R a few years ago, but was put off because it was, i presume at the time, rough and full of skin heads!!!! Also when I've put a message on here many moons ago for recommendation for rock bar in Sheffield the D&R was never mentioned?!?

Presume this not true anymore, or it ever was true?!? Most importantly, will I be safe with my Slayer t-shirt, or any other band t-shirts?!?

Thanks

Archived