Not going to university

Speaking as someone that left school @ the age of 13 & now approaching 40 my one regret is that i never found out what my educational boundaries were?, so to speak. Would of loved to go to uni:confused: . I've not done bad since leaving school, But i still have that lingering doubt:suspect: . Mods lockdown if this is too moody! :loopy:

Guest rosie

I am 42, just done my GCSE English as I left school before my taking my exams.

I have just signed up to do AS level, so you are never too old.

Try On line learning through Sheffield College

Originally posted by DJI66

Speaking as someone that left school @ the age of 13 & now approaching 40 my one regret is that i never found out what my educational boundaries were?, so to speak. Would of loved to go to uni:confused: . I've not done bad since leaving school, But i still have that lingering doubt:suspect: . Mods lockdown if this is too moody! :loopy:

I went to uni and it did not improve my job prospects one bit.

It was worth it for the life experience :heyhey: but not for the money you have to shell out nowardays.

ive never had a full time job since leaving school in 1985 .......till now :)

however my cv is full of part time college corses, nvqs, training schemes and other qualifications.....mainly in computers

word processing

spreadsheets

desktop publishing

databases

Computer / network building and repair

customer service

still cant get a job in these areas lol

nearest ive got is im currently in cnc drilling for pcbs

along with cleaner

painter

odd job man

i wouldnt bother - im at uni and its awful - just constant work to do all the time, constant deadlines to meet and whenever you do get a free bit of time constantly worrying about the next bit of work youve got to do but dont have a clue how to do it. You cant read novels, all the books you read are to do with the subject and if theyre not you feel guilty.

No, dont bother. You havent missed anything

(unless you do some mickey mouse 12 hour a week uni time course that is)

It's worth going to uni if A) you can afford it and B) you are realistic about what you are going to get out of it. My degree cost me a fortune, and didn't help my career one little bit, but the friends I made, the life experiences I gained, and the sense of achievement I got from studying a subject at degree level means that I have never regretted going.

Originally posted by DJI66

oops ignore the above im on my laptop for the first time, anyway, just wanted to tell you , i did pretty rubbish at school, but have always worked hard since leaving, however i started uni at the age of 30, so if you want to do it, whatever your intrested in even if its a mickey mouses degree, jules

I left school with no qualifications, but once I had my daughter I decided to study at evening classes.

Leading on from that I did some more studying and eventually progressed to doing a degree part-time at University whilst also working full-time.

I wish i'd been in a position to go to University full-time because i've heard so much about how people have made life-long friends at Uni and also doing a degree does invariably help in your choice of career.

But, you're never too old to study and learn new things. If you want to build your confidence first, start by doing something you enjoy doing, then work up to whatever you want to do - degree: (all the Uni's offer part-time courses) or if you're quite disciplined try the OU.

You'll probably also find that many of the people on the part-time courses are a similar age to you too.

Good luck

Archived