Not going to university

Many Thanks to you all for replying,

Especially Hels & Jules.

It was just one of them "What if" situations and i'm going to apply for a "Mickey mouse" part time courses 1st.

Again, Many Thanks for your help

:thumbsup:

Dave

Oops, nearly forgot Rosie, Sorry.

my degree was a joke. The university was a mess, seriously under equipped for my course and the lectureres didnt have a clue (except one, bless him). lincoln school of art and design (in hull)... for reference.... bad experience for me and a lot of my friends (if not all)

However! I have made some amazing friends i thought i would never make and it was certainly the best time ive had in my life. Thats probably why i am in about £15,000 debt :)

Guest karenjane39

I did an Access course at Castle College and had the time of my life! I was 36 when I finished that and went onto uni to do a degree in English Studies.

As a mature student uni was VERY different to college. On the Access course all students had to be over 21 and most were in their 30's and 40's. Working with mostly 18 year olds can be challenging at times! There are mature students on my course but not many. There are pluses and minuses in working with such a younger age group (I'm sure they'd say similar about working with us oldies) and for the social side of things I preferred college.

I still have 1 and a half years of my degree to do as I've had time off for serious health problems but am going back to uni after Christmas and I am looking forward to finishing and getting a job!:)

• 4 years later...
Speaking as someone that left school @ the age of 13 & now approaching 40 my one regret is that i never found out what my educational boundaries were?, so to speak. Would of loved to go to uni:confused: . I've not done bad since leaving school, But i still have that lingering doubt :suspect:

Hmmm education can be a great thing, on the other hand I wish I could persuade my son and daughter that Costume Design in Croydon and Media Studies in Leicester might not be the best choices they can make. 3 years building up debt, no obvious inside track to a job that will make up for 3 lost years when they could have been earning money and getting ahead in the real world. Ah well, I'm sure they know what's best for them ... ???

You've not done bad since leaving school DJI66? Good for you!

The present government have pushed "Life long learning" so find out what your local college has to offer or look online for distance learning courses. You're 40 so there at least another 25 years of working life in you. Make the most of yourself now.

Archived