Rag n bone man on Abbeydale road

My grandparents used to live off Abbeydale Road where I can clearly remember the rag n' bone man shouting "any old rags" as he stood with his cart on the corner of their street.I am guessing that this would've been in the late 60's but not so sure.Can anyone remember seeing the rag man any later than this?

i think i remember seeing these two rag men in the 60s around the abbeydale / broadfield road area , does anyone remember were they brothers ? i seem to remember they were both very small blokes less than 5 foot tall like a couple of midgets

I'm sure there's still at least one operating in the area.

Smallish chap, in his 60s, pushing a wooden hand-cart.

Saw him at Nether Edge crossroads not long ago.

For some reason I though their premises were off London Road near The Sheldon pub.

There used to be two of them. Don't know if they were brothers or any relation.

The one I've not seen for a couple of years used to walk up the middle of the street, pushing his hand-cart, and shouting 'Iiiiiron' at the top of his voice.

The yards where The rag men took whatever they collected were known as marine store dealers anyone does anyone know why.:confused: When the ragman came round in the 40/50's it was quick have we any old clothes mother the usual answer was that we where wearing them, or using them to peg a rug.

When i was about 12 i used to wag school to go totting with the rag man.Iwould drive the horse slowly up the roads while the 2 ragmen would be up and down peoples yards totting.Dinnertime would see me outside a pub somewhere "holdin hoss" while they had a pint or two. the horse would get his nosebag and a Mars bar for a treat and a drink.Not all the totters were good to the horses though.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when I was about 8 or so, there was a rag and bone man that use to come around where I grew up in Highfields.

He was an elderly gent then and that was some time ago maybe in the mid eighties.

He had a wooden cart that had the fat wheel barrow type tyres. He always had the same clothes a grey long overcoat and a peak cap.

Funny how things like this stick with you all your life!

Archived