Rag n bone man on Abbeydale road

• 8 months later...
The yards where The rag men took whatever they collected were known as marine store dealers anyone does anyone know why.:confused: When the ragman came round in the 40/50's it was quick have we any old clothes mother the usual answer was that we where wearing them, or using them to peg a rug.

As far as I can make out Marine Store Dealer comes from the people who used to recycle junk from shipping, old rope etc.

Sounds a bit posher than rag and bone man.

Also love the term Mudlark this one seems to have been nearer the bottom of the social scale, and one up from the workhouse.

• 1 year later...

The rag and bone man was my grandad John Collins and he used to hire out the hand carts to the rag men.As children my brothers and sisters and i were so embaressed when people ask if that was our grandad,but am now really proud to think of all the memories people have of him.

claire you are right to be proud of your heritage. Many children received joy from the rag and bone men - balloons, 'magic' colouring books, even goldfish. Often they were children who would have received few or even no other gifts or surprises.

Now we just bundle everything up and deposit in a dump bin for used clothing and textiles!!

Archived