Can anyone remember a local cable tv?

thankyou for all the replies,you brought a few memories back.I remember having british relay.My mum used to have a couple of things that were on rental as we were a large family and money was a bit tight.(altho i think it was same for most families then).She also used to rent a twin tub washing machine,and when videos first came out we rented one of those too.

Originally posted by chumpy

Rubydazzler, that brick hut on Saxon Rd beside the river was one of the repeater stations. regards

well at least i had something right ... even if it was only the name of the road!! :D

Whisper, did the meter always run out right at the most exciting part of whatever you were watching? It did in our house!

Father didn't really like the idea of television watching so he decided we'd have a coin in the slot one when they became available. He decided how much money could be put into the meter and that was it ... when the money ran out, no more viewing. It always seemed to run out five minutes before the end of "play for today" or whatever ...

British Relay ran the cable system and the building is still there at the bottom of Matilda St on the left hand side as you walk towards St Marys Road but I think it has been made into flats years ago, just like every other vacant building.

The installation depot was about where the park square roundabout is now. I used to work out of there with Dave and Jim doing the new council estates and stripping cable off the old houses (legally ) before they were demolished .

Happy days.

regards

Originally posted by rubydazzler

Whisper, did the meter always run out right at the most exciting part of whatever you were watching? It did in our house!

i don't think we had ours on a meter Rubydazzler.i think my mum used to go into the shop and pay a monthly rental.

• 2 years later...
I vaguely remember something about a local cable company when i was a kid. The cables were attached to the houses under the guttering and they paid something like a shilling a year for allowing them to run them across your house.

I'm sure they had a sort of local interest slot where people could broadcast their own programmes? Obviously it never caught on ... otherwise would still be around today? It was based somewhere in Heeley, Saxon Road?

On a related issue, when Yorkshire Cable first started up - didn't they intend to cover the whole of Sheffield? What happened?

it was redivusion

BRW (British Relay Wireless) used to broadcast around Heeley in the 60's. There was a special box that you had to have, but the picture quality was u/s. Every programme was like Look Leeds, but was about Sheffield. I don't think that it lasted long - I hope that the same happens to Look Leeds.

British Relay had a depot on Cliffe Field Rd,the builing is still there but i dont know what it is now.At the time they seemed to employ a lot of people.I remember the man used to call every week for the rental money ,nobody bought tvs back then.If i remember you got 4 channels BBC1,BBC2 ITV and Midlands tv plus 4 radio stations,which in the70s was pretty good .Now we just have 250 channels of crap to watch .

Archived