Why don't fat people pay more (i.e. extra weight) to fly?

Yes, that is correct.

Perhaps the airlines don't implement such a scheme as they feel it wouldn't be profitable to do so?

The airlines spend hundreds of millions of pounds on portraying the right image, why would they want to ruin that image on a measure that may only save them a few million pounds.

We pay the airlines an additional fee for excess baggage, because (apparently) the extra weight means they need to use more fuel etc.

However, a heavy person, who has baggage weighing under his allowance, may have a combined weight (himself + baggage) greater than that of a lighter man who has considerable excess baggage.

Yet, it is the lighter man who will be paying more! Is that fair?

Surely, the fairest thing to do, would be to charge for excess weight on the basis of combined (person + baggage) weight?

Why don't airlines do this?

:hihi: I wouldn't put it past Ryan Air!!! There's not much they don't charge for so you never know!

Many airports now have a plastic bin and the carry on bag has to fit in the bin to be accepted as carry on.

Why not have the same system for overweight people. There could be a standard sized airline seat at the check in location and if the passenger overflowed the arm rest and seat they would be charged double since no one of normal size could sit comfortably in the next seat to that passenger and therefore one seat wasted

I'm 6'3 and weigh around 100k. I'm in reasonably good shape, run marathons etc.

Why should I pay more than a 5'2 dwarf bloke who is in the same sort of shape, but weighs 50k because he's a foot shorter than me?

Archived