Why don't fat people pay more (i.e. extra weight) to fly?

Just remember the price you pay for your flight bears no relation to what it actually costs the airline to fly you to your destination.

Take British Airways for example. I know it can be more expensive to fly a route like London - New York than say London - LA, even though flying to LA is about 3 hrs longer each way, they also have 26 different fare classes.

Most airlines charge what they think the passenger is willing to pay, so the whole you weigh more so you should pay more is moot, cus like i said the price you pay bears no relation to what its really costs the airline to fly you.

Lets take Ryanair, we all know it will cost them way more than the 1p they sell some of their flights for even if you add in all the fees and the cost of a overpriced snack, we still know it wouldnt cover the cost of the flight. But you can be sure for everyone that has paid 1p someone else will have paid say £100.

The weight is clearly a factor though - Emirates have stopped doing an in flight magazine to save weight - they reckon it saves up to a tonne per flight - I presume because you not only save the weight of the magazines, but also the weight of the fuel you needed to carry the magazines.

http://www.travel-rants.com/2008/08/04/emirates-ditch-their-in-flight-magazine/

Yes airlines will try and save as much weight as possible. So Emirates stop the in flight mag to save weight, ah but will they be making the cost of their tickets a little cheaper due to the fuel saving, no they wont because like i said in my original post the price you pay bears no relation to what the actually cost is to the airline.

Hopefully all it will mean for Emirates is that they will make a bit more money on each flight then they used to.

If it did then wouldnt airlines just charge a standard fare for each cabin then add or subtract whatever extra money based on an assessment of each passengers wanting to fly.

Nah, no airline charges a fat customer more than a thinner one - However, some tall people chose to pay a premium for leg room... I think this is what you must mean, but it isn't what the OP meant...

Yes - I meant through choice - if someone is really fat they know about it and will buy a seat with more space.

Yes airlines will try and save as much weight as possible. So Emirates stop the in flight mag to save weight, ah but will they be making the cost of their tickets a little cheaper due to the fuel saving, no they wont because like i said in my original post the price you pay bears no relation to what the actually cost is to the airline.

It might have meant the price didn't go up when fuel got more expensive, though.

Hmm yes...

So if you weigh 10 stone, you can take 26kg baggage

12 stone + 13.6 kg

14 stone + 0.9kg

Yeah that wouldn't really work, would it?

dont know if im on my own here but thats impressive stats or am i just easily impressed...i dont know :hihi:

Archived