Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

shaznay

• 10 months later...

£1.10/-   a weekend for 4 weeks during school Summer Holiday when I was 13, for

clearing tables, and taking orders to outside tables at a friends Cafe. ( I did feel rich )

I got some sweets & ice cream, then took the rest home for my Mum. But bless her, she saved it, and treated us to a day out in Bakewell. Nice !

• 10 months later...

3 pounds 2 and 6 pence in 1964 at Avery scales.

You got an extra 2 and 6 pence if you went out on the lorry helping to check the drive on scaled.

Left to go in the building trade and got 6 pounds and 15 shillings at week in the same year.

Edited by harvey19

My first week’s wage, paid in cash, in 1970 was £7. 9s. 6p. When I was promoted in 1971 it increased to £9. 6s. I was never sure whether this was a lot of money as my friend, working for an insurance company, was given luncheon vouchers too.  She would save them up and treat us both to lunch in the Golden Egg every so often. And, she and her colleagues were also given hampers at Christmas.

I'm not sure it counts as a wage as I was on a training scheme but after leaving school I went to Kennings at Tenter Street in 1991 and I got £35pw.

I was a trainee body repairer but sadly the body shop moved to Dronfield so I left to go work for my Dad as a trainee telephone engineer. There I earned around £60pw.  

The job wasn't as much fun but the extra money helped me pursue my hobby of getting hammered at the weekend. 

I got £4 9s 5d a week as an apprentice electrician at F H Wheelers  in 1968.  Late summer of '68 I was deployed at Dunford Hadfields Vulcan Road and having worked 7 days I got £6 4s 2d and my mother wanted some extra "board" off me that week.  She went on to be a mercenary in Angola - no she didn't I made that up but times were hard for my parents in those days.