Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

shaznay

£6 a week from Reclaim on Claywheels Lane! £2 a day for THAT?! Eh?! :rant: :loopy: 

And it was deemed suitable for disabled people! Stood up all day in a mucky recycling Plant? Pardon?! :loopy: 

Normally I would've thrown the insulting "pay packet" back and gone on a long :rant: about the inequality of "pay" because all the workers were on benefits and couldn't earn much without the DWP jumped on them with sanctions but I thought I'd best not, plus Mum was so proud that day that I'd earned 3 days' wages! Yeah, 2 quid a day for a job I hated every single second of!

Fortunately this was in 2002 and all those kind of places are long gone! I still can't get a job though!

• 3 weeks later...

My first wage was £6. 13shillings (£5. 15shillings after tax) at the age of 18 as a Commercial Apprentice at Osborn Mushet Tools in 1968. When I retired in 2017 my annual salary was £43,000 working as a Development Manager for a well-known business lobbying organisation. Life certainly has its ups and downs.