Does anyone know when the old trams stopped running in sheffield?

cyb1

Does anyone know when the old trams stopped running in sheffield?

Cyb1 -the last Sheffield tram ( old style) ran in 1961. That's without resorting to Google or Wiki. I remember it well because we undertook an art project at school connected to it.

Cyb1 -the last Sheffield tram ( old style) ran in 1961. That's without resorting to Google or Wiki. I remember it well because we undertook an art project at school connected to it.
Having read the Wiki link provided it says 8 Oct 60. You must have done it when you came back after the xmas hols?

Having read the Wiki link provided it says 8 Oct 60. You must have done it when you came back after the xmas hols?

Yes natjack you must be right. My last year at school was 1960/61 so the art project would have streched into '61. Incidentally I think the last tram ended up at the Crich Tramway Museum near Matlock but I'm not certain.

Yes natjack you must be right. My last year at school was 1960/61 so the art project would have streched into '61. Incidentally I think the last tram ended up at the Crich Tramway Museum near Matlock but I'm not certain.

There's one there in "Sheffield's Last Tram Week" livery (tram no. 510) but I believe that there's another tram in this livery at Beamish (tram no. 513).

Is it possible to say for certain which was the actual "last tram". Was there a procession of some kind rather than just the end of normal services?

Crich is well worth a visit, especially on their special themed weekends, when they put more trams into active service. Sadly tram no. 510 hasn't seen service for a while, I would love to have a go on it.

Archived