Does anyone know when the old trams stopped running in sheffield?

cyb1

Whilst talking about transport, does any-one know of this incident, donkey's years ago? I read in the 'STAR' that a bus was coming down Derbyshire Lane and it's brakes failed and it crossed over Chesterfield Rd. and crashed into the houses there. What a terrible dilemna that he was faced with as he came down the hill. with only a few seconds to react in. 'Do I choose to choose to cross over Chesterfield Rd and crash into a house and almost certain death and occupants of the house, or attempt a sharp right turn down Ch'fld Rd. Surely the bus would have toppled over and slid down the road, killing an unknown number of oncoming motorists and passengers. At the time I was too young to understand any of this and don't really know what the outcome was, only to hope he wasn't killed.

Was there a procession of some kind rather than just the end of normal services?

Yes - then aged 12, I was on one of the trams in the procession, as my Uncle Syd was a tram conductor. We joined our tram at Tenter Street depot (we had to be given a special pass to allow us into the depot) and then went to Millhouses before the procession "proper" started. It went along the last scheduled route to Tinsley, where buses were waiting to bring us back into town. The very last tram had dignitaries dressed in Edwardian costume - this being No 510 that was preserved and is in the Crich museum. It was a cold, dark, miserable, rainy night but thousands of people thronged the route, some putting pennies on the line to have them squashed as souvenirs. People on the trams were all given a souvenir ticket and also an illustrated brochure with information about the tramway era. Here's a scan of the cover and and here's the souvenir ticket: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Ticket.jpg

I used to take the tram from Meadowhead to Scott road (Pitsmoor?) every day to school. And on Saturday went to the Capitol Cinema at Sheffield Lane Top. End of the line. It was a Penny into Sheffield and a Penny through to Sheffield Lane Top.

Those days long gone and the great fights on the Top Deck interrupted by the conductor..OH NOT LIKE TODAYS VIOLENCE.. The Old condutor sorted us all out.

What happened to the respect we had for our elders. ??

Whilst talking about transport, does any-one know of this incident, donkey's years ago? I read in the 'STAR' that a bus was coming down Derbyshire Lane and it's brakes failed and it crossed over Chesterfield Rd. and crashed into the houses there. What a terrible dilemna that he was faced with as he came down the hill. with only a few seconds to react in. 'Do I choose to choose to cross over Chesterfield Rd and crash into a house and almost certain death and occupants of the house, or attempt a sharp right turn down Ch'fld Rd. Surely the bus would have toppled over and slid down the road, killing an unknown number of oncoming motorists and passengers. At the time I was too young to understand any of this and don't really know what the outcome was, only to hope he wasn't killed.

This would be in the late 40's - early 50's. I went to Meersbrook Bank School and there were always vehicles running away down Derbyshire Lane. The one you mention was one of two and then there was a Bluebird Toffee van that t-boned a tram as it ran across Chesterfield Road (1950. It knocked the tram over onto its side. I had come out of school with my brother and we went down to look at it - quite an incident. People seriously injured (maybe even killed). There is a photo of the crash in an '80s booklet I've got called "Sheffield Trams Remembered" - I think I can even spot me on the photo! I'm currently trying to trace the original photo and get a copy - the one in the book isn't great.

Thanks Buffers. I've got this same book, which I mentiond last week. Thanks also for the dates you mentioned. The overturned tram on page 42 says it all. Your post has caused me to re-read this book and I've found a lot of stuff in there, which I can relate to, in particular the Pond street photo on page 44.The top picture, bottom left, with hut and concrete retaining wall records my brother and I's first work for the P.W.D. Early '55 onwards

Archived