Old dancing schools

• 2 months later...
I bet there isn't anyone who remembers The Edith Hirst school of dancing on Abbeydale Road.....? Just below the Abbeydale picture house on the other side of the road!
Hi my mums always talking about her dancing days with Edith hurst , her name then was Margaret Sanderson . She love to hear from you or any other dancers from the school .

I started off at Thelma Saynors on Abbey LANE at 2yrs old, then went to Thomson twins, then Gwen Wilkins, this was from 1941 to 1956. I was one of the ones to be chosen from all Sheffield Dance schools to be in a show called Starlets of Steelopalis,which toured North of england. Was also in Babes in the Wood pantomime, in London,we had lessons in the afternoon and 4 dance classes a day until showtime,my Mum had to go with me. We wore little grey dresses and red cloaks,I loved it,but was also in a gymnastic team so it seemed to be all work and no play

Back in the late 50's I took guitar lessons from a lady called Madame Saynor, and that was on Abbey Lane. Probably the same lady. She wanted me to play like Segovia, I wanted to be like Charlie Christian.

I too had guitar lessons from Madame Saynor. I wanted to learn chords and she wanted to teach me Spanish guitar. To the point she tried to persuade me to change my acoustic to a Spanish guitar. At that point I'd learned/had enough and packed in.

If it's of interest to anyone, I also remember Gwen Wilkin. She had a tobacconist's shop at the bottom of Howard St, back in the late 40's- early 50's, well, she used to run it with her sisters I think. I was only a kid then, but I got the distinct impression she wasn't very happy being there.

• 3 weeks later...
Did anyone go to gwen wilkings on richmond road i went there 1970-1980

I went to gwen wilkins when she had a class at the bottom of Howard street 1950

---------- Post added 03-08-2015 at 21:35 ----------

I was in a show called Starlets of Steelopolis, we were all chosen from all Sheffield dance schools and toured all over Yorkshire.r it?I was at CONNIE Grants at the time. Later I also went to Frank Whites ballroom classes on Woodseats

• 2 years later...
I bet there isn't anyone who remembers The Edith Hirst school of dancing on Abbeydale Road.....? Just below the Abbeydale picture house on the other side of the road!

I went to Edith Hirst for several years in 1950's. Remember doing shows at Montgomery Hall on Surrrey St.