Old dancing schools

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My name is Celia Cronin (formerly Fairbotham). I was evacuated to stay with my Auntie Zena and her friend whom I knew as Auntie Netta, in the early summer of 1944. I was aged 4. I was there until at least Christmas 1944. My Aunt ran a Dancing School in what I now think was Barnsley Road.

I am trying to find as many details of the Dancing School, the infants's school I attended from September to December 1944, for a possible memoir for my grandchildren. It was a strange time, not unhappy. I think I loved watching the dancing lessons from the back of the class.

Does anybody have any memories of that Dancing school? Looking at other records on this site I think my aunt Zena left the school in the mid fifties, and Ninette ran the school as the Fayre-Daviso School of Dancing from that time.

I would love to hear from you.

If you put Ninette Daviso in your Sheffield Forum Search Engine you will find quite a few links, to include one from a relative of Ninette. I attended the school on Barnsley Road around 1952 when I was 10 and had ambitions of becoming a dancer! I remember that both Zena and Ninette would be there. They had turned the whole lounge/dining room of the semi detached house into a dance studio complete with barre down one wall. Zena was very masculine in looks and dress. She was like Nancy Spain who was a popular panallist on'Whats My Line' on BBC Television. She and Ninette were definitely a couple in days when same same relationships were not something to be talked about. They split up soon after and the dance school which had been called Ninette Daviso School of Dance bdcame Zena Fayre School of Dance. I think Zena went to live at the Barnsley Road end of Longley Lane.

• 1 year later...

My Mum went to Gwen Wilkin and then under contract to Connie Grant. She went on to teach for Gwen Wilkin and then opened her own school call Imperial School of Dance. Her name was Sheila Tyas.

anyone remember.

On 03/08/2015 at 21:28, LAURA4 said:

I went to gwen wilkins when she had a class at the bottom of Howard street 1950

---------- Post added 03-08-2015 at 21:35 ----------

I was in a show called Starlets of Steelopolis, we were all chosen from all Sheffield dance schools and toured all over Yorkshire.r it?I was at CONNIE Grants at the time. Later I also went to Frank Whites ballroom classes on Woodseats

Yes I went to Gwen Wilkins at Howard Street early 60’s then  also when she moved to Handsworth. My mum MissTyas taught there

• 2 months later...
On 30/08/2010 at 15:58, louise1965 said:

Did anyone go to gwen wilkings on richmond road i went there 1970-1980

I went to Gwen Wilkins on Richmond Road but it was around 1967. My Mum Sheila Tyas taught there.

On 22/09/2010 at 14:18, Janber said:

Hi Hetty

Just seen your post. Dancing was my life back then. My parents were in to old tyme big style. When I was very young I used to go to Sheila Tyas's on ~Cemetery Road, that was also for tap ballet and acro but mostly my dancing was old tyme back then.

We used to go to the Abbeydale, run by Joe Marshall on a Monday and the Cutlers Hall on a Thursday with Louis Pecks band. David? Gascoigne was the MC and I used let the New Year in when I was about 7 as the New Year fairy (don't ask). I used to go to Collinsons on Havelock Square for lessons on Thursday and dancing class Saturday morning. My parents wouldn't pay for lessons in ballroom so old man Walter paid for me himself in exchange my dancing with his learners on Tuesday and Friday night and helping out at dance class on Saturday morning. They were great times and I'm now getting very nostalgic. Don't do much of anything these days what with old age povery and arthritis Ha ha.

Sheila Tyas on Cemetery Road is my Mum. Sadly she passed away 28 November 2019 age 91.