Strange Sounds Coming From Jupiter

Other interesting sounds

The sounds of space >

How earth sounds from space >

How do they know how what sounds the planets,etc are making? (I mean how are the radio waves translated into audio)

How do we know the sounds are accurate?

VERY PLEASING/MYSTERIOUS SOUNDS!!

Other interesting sounds

The sounds of space >

Black Hole > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_qB0DDbqNQ

How do they know how what sounds the planets,etc are making? (I mean how are the radio waves translated into audio)

Was it a "ringing" sound ?.

Given that radio waves are used to carry the signal of - er - radio stations ... I would guess (but don't know) that all they are doing is translating the radio signals coming from Jupiter, as if they were signals coming from Radio Sheffield, and seeing what it sounds like.

I don't actually know how a sound in a studio gets converted into radio signals, transmitted across the country, then converted back into sound by your receiver .. but it wouldn't be hard to replace the first two parts of that process by "radio wave picked up from Jupiter."

Other interesting sounds

The sounds of space >

Black Hole > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_qB0DDbqNQ

Apparently, Uranus makes strange sounds too.

:D

• 4 years later...
Given that radio waves are used to carry the signal of - er - radio stations ... I would guess (but don't know) that all they are doing is translating the radio signals coming from Jupiter, as if they were signals coming from Radio Sheffield, and seeing what it sounds like.
Ya I assume your right....... They are NOT ANALOGUE SOUNDS though!! (Probably cant be heard with a reg mic)

Ya I assume your right....... They are NOT ANALOGUE SOUNDS though!! (Probably cant be heard with a reg mic)

Why do you feel the need to shout? They're radio waves translated into sounds. They are analogue. If they were digital we'd have to figure out how they were encoded to get anything meaningful from them, plus they definitely wouldn't be natural.

You do know we use radio telescopes don't you?

Archived