Are the public sector employed middle classes sleepwalking into disaster?

Slimming down the behemoth of government created by Labour taking money from you in taxes with one hand and then handing it back with another will certainly slim down the public expenditure.

How many thousands of teachers, NHS staff, policemen, council workers do you think will lose their jobs?

Many "professionals" perceive their role to be too important to be cut. It is a "How could they ever do without me" arrogance. I have seen it many times before. I have seen people with such attitudes become surplus to requirements before.

Graveyards are full of indispensible people.

I remember one such "indispensible" person made redundant in the NHS in the '80's complaining she shouldn't have been made redundant because she had voted Tory.

Loads, irrespective of who wins the election. If only the parties had the guts to say so.

Like you say whoever gets in there will be some public sector job losses but under the Tories I fear it will be much, much worse.

All we can do is look at what happened last time they were in.

I think If Cameron is elected the (so far) silent right wing of the party will be demanding massive public sector cuts in order to provide their wealthy backers with the tax cuts they crave.

So how do you think he'll find the cash to reapay the government's loans?

It isn't about repaying the accumulated debt, it's about reducing the month-on-month, year-on-year requirement to borrow cash just to meet current expenditure not covered by revenue from taxes etc.

The money markets will want to see this borrowing requirement significantly reduced in a short space of time or they simply won't lend the govt. any more money.

Expected PSBR for 2010 is ~£175billion but this will likely have to be reduce by half over five years to satisfy the markets, and probably the IMF too.

Most of the existing debt is long-dated, over ten years and longer, so not an immediate problem.

All we can do is look at what happened last time they were in.

It's a good job the rest of the Uk doesn't have you attitude or else Labour would have never returned to government after the problems they had in the 1970's.

I heard a quote today from an economist, I forget who, he said that who ever wins the next election will be out of power for 10 years. So I guess that he is implying that it doesn't matter who we vote for, there are massive cuts ahead.

but my god, if the Tories are re-elected many of them will probably be out of work with the HUGE public spending cuts the Tories are planning. Is it time for them to get real?

Is it time for people to "get real" about the dire state of the nation's finances?

There is no more money.

The money is not there.

There is an absence of money.

I don't know how often it's going to be necessary to keep saying the same thing before it finally sinks in.

The governor of the Bank of England is saying it, the Institute for Fiscal Studies is saying it, heck even Alistair Darling is saying it.

Alistair Darling admitted tonight that Labour's planned cuts in public spending will be "deeper and tougher" than Margaret Thatcher's in the 1980s, as the country's leading experts on tax and spending warned that Britain faces "two parliaments of pain" to repair the black hole in the state's finances.

All three main parties are refusing to go into detail about what will be necessary after May 6th. Understandable really, if they were to tell the British public the unvarnished truth, it would be a bigger political gaffe than "bigotgate".

It's a good job the rest of the Uk doesn't have you attitude or else Labour would have never returned to government after the problems they had in the 1970's.

Yes, if only they had! The massive de-industrialisation of city's like Sheffield would not of happened.

Yes, if only they had! The massive de-industrialisation of city's like Sheffield would not of happened.

How? Do you really think that it was the Tory parties policy to change the world demographics and move manufacturing to the far east?

How? Do you really think that it was the Tory parties policy to change the world demographics and move manufacturing to the far east?

The closures in Sheffield had nothing to do with the far east, i know I was there.

How come none of our european competitors lost their manufacturing base???

She wanted to destroy it all. What was it she said, 'i want to create a nation of shop keepers'!

Archived