Are the public sector employed middle classes sleepwalking into disaster?

The closures in Sheffield had nothing to do with the far east, i know I was there.

How come none of our european competitors lost their manufacturing base???

She wanted to destroy it all. What was it she said, 'i want to create a nation of shop keepers'!

No, Napoleon said that. Thatcher was the daughter of a shopkeeper. When you tell your lies please please do us the courtesy of making it at least a bit more convicing.

As for steel, well your grasp of history is shaky there too. You forgot to mention the half billion quid subsidy that BSC was recieving to support its growing losses.

No, Napoleon said that. Thatcher was the daughter of a shopkeeper. When you tell your lies please please do us the courtesy of making it at least a bit more convicing.

As for steel, well your grasp of history is shaky there too. You forgot to mention the half billion quid subsidy that BSC was recieving to support its growing losses.

As has been demonstrated before you are not a person to lecture others on telling the truth.

Most of the jobs lost in Sheffield were NOT in the BSC but in the private sector!

I remember one such "indispensible" person made redundant in the NHS in the '80's complaining she shouldn't have been made redundant because she had voted Tory.

that reminds me of a women crying in a TV interview because of the increased rates her businees had to pay when they introduced the Poll Tax. "I've always voted for them, I'm the sort of person they are supposed to be helping" she snivelled (the implication being that any unpleasantness caused by Thatcher's masterplan should be exclusively aimed at lesser mortals.) I had to laugh.

Like you say whoever gets in there will be some public sector job losses but under the Tories I fear it will be much, much worse.

All we can do is look at what happened last time they were in.

I think If Cameron is elected the (so far) silent right wing of the party will be demanding massive public sector cuts in order to provide their wealthy backers with the tax cuts they crave.

Go and have a beer and lighten up you daft old lefty!

As has been demonstrated before you are not a person to lecture others on telling the truth.

Most of the jobs lost in Sheffield were NOT in the BSC but in the private sector!

You had a month's ban the last time you started making false allegations about me. Just take care sunshine, don't go there.

Back to the topic

So pray tell, how did Thatcher close the private steel companies, or in your words "she wanted to destroy it all" ?

So pray tell, how did Thatcher close the private steel companies, or in your words "she wanted to destroy it all" ?

It is a historical fact that many cities which were strongly anti-Tory - such as Sheffield or Liverpool - not only had the support for their industries slashed, but they were left without any plans or re-investment to replace them, resulting in lengthy periods of stagnation and decline. Hard economic reality, or one very spiteful old bag?

Archived