Lincoln Christmas Market - is it worth it?

We did Lincoln market last year but with 3 kids (one teenager & 2 below 6 years) it's no fun whatsoever

far too many people crammed into a tiny area, like a football crowd for sheer volume of people

enjoyed the stalls though, spent a lot but couldn't sample the mulled wines as I'd have liked because I was driving

we are going to try the one at Chatsworth this year for a change

I would also recommend York. Lots to do after the shops have closed as well.

Went to Lincoln two years running but second time was boring. Same stalls in the same place both years.

Have also been to Grassington, which we enjoyed but it's not very big

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps Hull is an alternative. It is new and will be running from 19th November until after Christmas around Queen's Gardens. It is being organized by Germans and I was also involved. So, let me know, if you would like to know more about it..!

I've wanted to go for a few years but didnt fancy taking the kids with the crowds!

This year its over our first wedding anniversary weekend, and my mums already said she'll have them for a couple of nights so we can go away to celebrate.

I've been looking for hotels, naturally all the ones in the centre are full so we'll have to stay a little further afield and use the park and ride. Not a problem, until I saw that it costs £12 to use the service! :o

By the time we've paid for this, the hotel and the petrol we're looking at £200 before we even get inside the market!

So....is it worth it or should I look somewhere else?

Hi Honey,

I go every year and I love it. I go on the Friday, its less busier than the Saturday coz the coaches do there trip on Saturdays so its heaving.

We get there for about 10ish park up in town and then later on (around3pm) when its getting dark we go back to the car and go and park in the park and ride - trust me its well worth the £12 coaches take you to and from the car park which is very efficiently run.

We leave then around 9.30. I absolutely love it and it seems to get better every year. There is a local school that opens up where the children/adult bake and serve tea/coffee etc. Its so lovely and I speak from 12 years experience.

On the countdown to this years :):thumbsup:

If you dont mind driving some way then there is always Edinburgh. I am up there in a few weeks time I am staying at a new travel lodge which as just opened next to the airport is only cost us £50 for two nights (and that the total cost NOT each) Diesel cost £50 for the journey (ther and back) so thats only £100.

They have now put an xmas market on Princes's Street near the gardens and its fab. WE do a park and ride which cost us 50p to park for the whole day and then £3.60 each on train into Waverley Station.

If you drive up then you can come back doing the coastal route which is North Bewick etc which is beautiful in itself. If you go by train you also go up the coastal route but the cost will be quite expensive.

On the countdown for this too stroll on week on Friday :thumbsup::D

You could try Matlock Victorian Christmas Market this year on the 4th-6th December. I can recommend it because I'll be trading there on the 5th/6th selling hand made soaps and bath bombs, similar to Lush but cheaper! :D:D

I have lovely smelling ready made gift baskets ideal for Christmas presents, and also let my customers pick their own items and make up their own gift bags or boxes if they want. I've just ordered a load of Jute Bags which you can pack about three or four things in for about a tenner, unlike Lush who charge £10.00 for a box with only two items in surrounded by popcorn.

The Manchester one is the best within an hour - Lincoln is ok, but not as many stalls as Manchester and quality not as good either re most products sold... Went to a great sunday market in York a few weeks ago - not a Christmas market as such, but the products sold change with the time of the year so that you can get christmas things there now :) Near Pivo, if you want a warming drink :)

I've been to Lincoln a number of times and in my opinion it isn't something I will do again as my mobility has deteriorated and the regimented market doesn't allow for rest stops, seating or places just to stop and take a breather away from the crush. Getting to the stalls from wherever you've managed to park is really hard for those with a mobility difficulty too because even though there's provision made for blue badge holders the volunteer stewards simply aren't aware of the plans and turn your car around and back away from the disabled access spots (this has been fed back to the organisers and no changes have been made). It's also way too late in planning for Christmas for me. By the first weekend in December usually everything is bought and wrapped, so it's a long way to drive, queue and walk to have a hugely overpriced hot pork sandwich!

EDIT- I'm going to Birmingham over the next few weeks though, so I'll get to have a meander around their market probably, even though I'm not going for that deliberately.

Archived