When every schoolboy had a ‘blade’ in his pocket

peterw

Hi grinder - sounds familiar; I had one too - it looked like this.

I spent my boyhood trying to find horses with stones in their hooves...:)

That's the fella , they had the war department stamp on them too.

They were built like the proverbial outside toilet.....

Wikipedia says: “ A penknife, or pen knife, is a small folding pocket knife, originally used for cutting or sharpening a quill to make a pen nib.”

The internet and Wiki-whatnot are marvellous things but Wiki-whatnot, alas, only knows what has been fed to it by some folk who DO know and some folk who DO NOT KNOW.

Had Wiki-thingy been a Sheffielder whose grand-daddy had been a ‘little mester’, then Wiki-Doodah would have got it right rather than get it half right.

It tells us that a PEN-knife is a small folding POCKET-knife, but not so. A PEN-knife is a pen-knife and a POCKET-knife is a pocket-knife, but it does not tell us that there has been a century or so between the popularity of one, and the other so never the twain shall meet. Not quite true because there was a time when Sheffield’s knife makers made both.

Well, I've followed the pocket/penknife debate with some interest. All I can say is that I always carry a small folding knife with me, and use it regularly for all kinds of things - from sharpening pencils to opening tins and cracking walnuts. I can't say that I've ever used it to sharpen a quill pen, but I always refer to it as a penknife and people know what I mean when I call it that..:P

Do you know I never even thought about my diving knife. It stays permanently attached to my jacket and I think has only ever been out of its sheath a couple of times. Nevertheless a sharp little blighter and would clearly do the job it was intended for. Goodness knows what the police reaction is to this as I'm sure that 99% of divers have one in their equipment.

The knives I tend to favor of late are the 'Opinel' range. French made and a good knife. They range from a 5'' blade, possibly bigger, down to a small 2''. I always carried one at work and in the garden. They're made from steel which takes a good edge and doesn't crumble. I only wish that some manufacturer in Sheffield had had the foresight to produce a knife like them. A simple design, wooden handle, one blade, and a locking ring, brilliant.

I have a 9 inch blade Bowie knife that I got fom a visit to Kelham island in the 90s, it has a deer antler handle and Im ashamed to say that I use it in the garden to lop branches from trees and bushes.

I`m supposed to be a Sheffielder and always waffling on to these damn southerners I live among how great our steel and cutlery is and was and I show them the knife proudly... Next day I`m wrecking it in the garden.

It wasn't only the boys that had a penknife although us girls didn't carry them in our pockets. I left school in 57 but I always carried a small one in my pencil case....just 2 blades with a mother of pearl covering.

Archived