When every schoolboy had a ‘blade’ in his pocket

peterw

Thanks Nipper, I'll be down to our library for that. I don't think the history of Sheffield is off subject, it's all one long story.

I think my close observation of the cutlery industry in all its depressing death throws did affect me psychologically probably more than I realise.

We diversified into pots pans and crockery and of course loads of imported cutlery in order to stay in business. Hey-ho its all history.

Bob.

We were all given pen-knives for (I think) the festival of Britain. These were one bladed red handled things made by Richards and they fell to pieces when you tried to cut anything stronger than butter. None of them lasted more than a couple of days; you could have given one to a serial killer and he would have died of frustration. Taylor's 'Eye Witness' knives are the best.

Do the 'Eye Witness' range have a 'eye' stamped on the blade? I seem to remember seeing a trade mark like that, but I'm not sure if it was on a knife or not.

Yes Texas, a single eye staring straight out with 'witness' underneath. When Nipper says they are the best, I might ask him what about Joseph Rodgers, Wolstenholm IXL, Ibbotsons, William Rodgers, Needhams Hill Street or Herbert Slaters and the rest. Many in my collection are fine examples of the Sheffield craft but bear no name at all other than Sheffield Made.

The absence of spring knives in men's pockets to-day could be an interesting social debate. Many people have Swiss Army knives but somehow I doubt they carry them with them. What has happened ?

On another tack completely, would Solingen have the same story to tell of the loss of an industry once equally skilful ?

Bob.

Yes Texas, a single eye staring straight out with 'witness' underneath. When Nipper says they are the best, I might ask him what about Joseph Rodgers, Wolstenholm IXL, Ibbotsons, William Rodgers, Needhams Hill Street or Herbert Slaters and the rest. Many in my collection are fine examples of the Sheffield craft but bear no name at all other than Sheffield Made.

The absence of spring knives in men's pockets to-day could be an interesting social debate. Many people have Swiss Army knives but somehow I doubt they carry them with them. What has happened ?

On another tack completely, would Solingen have the same story to tell of the loss of an industry once equally skilful ?

Bob.

My Dad, born in the 19th century always used to maintain Rogers were the best. Richards a load of rubbish.

Well, I reckon collecting knives is as good a hobby as anything I've heard. I don't collect myself, but then again I don't chuck anything away either. RobertDSmith had me looking thro' my bits and pieces and I found a William Rogers pocket knife I've had for at least 50 years and it still 'talks'. I always associate William Rogers knives with those Scout knives with the fiberloid handles. They were very popular. I seem to have a couple or three with no manufacturers name at all. Still good steel though. The ones I use regulary are a cook's knife, Brazilian made, very good. An Erickson Swedish fisherman's filleter, like a razor. A Turkish cook's knife, pretty good. Japanese, all purpose stabber. I could go on.

But I digress, didn't IXL make the original Bowie knife, I seem to have read that somewheres.

Well, I reckon collecting knives is as good a hobby as anything I've heard. I don't collect myself, but then again I don't chuck anything away either. RobertDSmith had me looking thro' my bits and pieces and I found a William Rogers pocket knife I've had for at least 50 years and it still 'talks'. I always associate William Rogers knives with those Scout knives with the fiberloid handles. They were very popular. I seem to have a couple or three with no manufacturers name at all. Still good steel though. The ones I use regulary are a cook's knife, Brazilian made, very good. An Erickson Swedish fisherman's filleter, like a razor. A Turkish cook's knife, pretty good. Japanese, all purpose stabber. I could go on.

But I digress, didn't IXL make the original Bowie knife, I seem to have read that somewheres.

ive read that the knife found at the alano beside bowie was made by ixl

My Dad, born in the 19th century always used to maintain Rogers were the best. Richards a load of rubbish.

Joseph Rogers & Sons made excellent knives ("the knife of kings and king of knives" to quote their advertising) and Richards were not so good - but it's the old adage that you get what you pay for. In c. 1960 a Rogers pocket knife would have set you back the best part of a pound or so, while Richards' mass-produced knives such as this one could be found mounted on cards at corner shops etc. for three or four shillings each.

Hills. and Tex. when you get to a certain age you begin to look at history in a different light. Maybe when Richards came along and had the gaul to put the name Sheffield on their tin cans it should have been a wake-up call. Perhaps instead of being totally dismissive we shouldhave grasped that maybe there was another way to make spring knives. Surely history has proved that some sort of mass production was needed in order for the industry to survive.

Looking at the international success of Victorinox I cannot believe that they make their knives by hand in the labour intensive way that we used to do. I remember when my old friend Denis Slater visited them in Schwyz with a view to an agency they politely showed him the wood-yard and their showrooms but no-way was he allowed beyond the door to their factory floor !

The secret of their grinding and hardening techniques are closely guarded.

I didn't know about the IXL on David Bowie's knife, that's some story !

Bob.

... maybe there was another way to make spring knives. Surely history has proved that some sort of mass production was needed in order for the industry to survive...

Quite right Bob - mass production doesn't necessarily mean a drop in quality. You just need the right techniques to produce a good-quality product quickly. Maybe the Sheffield cutlery firms were too rooted in the past to change, though (apart from spring knives) some had success, such as Richardsons/Amefa with their laser knives etc. Times change, and you have to take a sideways look at the opposition from time to time.

It is quite true that George Wostenholme (with his IXL brand) produced the bowie knife. You can find a potted history of him in the booklet They Lived in Sharrow and Nether Edge. He made his fortune from exporting the knives to America in the pioneering days and was so grateful that he moved into the factory that became known as the Washington Works. They stood where Devonshire Green is, but were demolished in 1978--at which point I got in and removed quite a bit of stuff including archives that had just been abandoned (these are now safe for researchers to use). I have at least one IXL folding knife which I treasure.

Archived