When was Meadowhall built?

sportaudi

Hi def 1990.I worked on it from 88 to finish in 90 and some cause it was not all finished a lot of snagging a think we fitted over 1200 doors and frames + other works,I have got a commemorative plate some where see if I can find it and put it on here may be worth some thing.:hihi::gag::hihi:

officially opened by ruby wax if i remember right?

there was a tv advert at the time where she arrived by helicopter and landed at the heliport very close the the viaduct

certainly opened in 1990. i also remember that the bus/train links were not in place for the opening and eventually opened some several weeks later i think?

• 2 weeks later...

I was also there before it opened and when it opened working at Dixons.

The centre was an amazing success from day one and sales and footflow were way above forecast.

Infact I was told that the main storres were given very favourable even free rent deals initially to attract other retailers.

I remember the fire alarms used to go off all the time at the start,also don't think the main shops were open sunday as I remember there being a lot of press attention when we opened sunday and it was very quiet on a sunday to start with how times change............

Hi Def, I worked for Dunford Hatfields in the 70s, I was told the firm stood in an area of about 33 Football Pitches, DH was the smaller of two firms. the other firm was Osborne Hatfield which I was told was about twice as big. JP

• 6 years later...
Does anyone know if the Clock Tower pub in the Oasis was open from day 1? I know it has been the Retreat and now the Steel Foundry.

Perhaps its worth going to Meadowhall and asking them if they have any record of opening date of Clock Tower pub they may hold records of last tenants?