Clamping now in force at Meadowhall

So what's the answer to people dinging other people's cars then?

It doesn't matter on the value of the car particularly. My car wasn't 50k but I value it and it's well loooked after. I do not appreciate the muppets that open their doors into mine.

I think people should be accountable for damaging other peoples cars.

My last car was my pride and joy and the only time I parked in a normal space at the gym, some chimp dinged it. After that, I parked diagonally in 2. It's not acceptable that people should damage your car. Should parking bays be made wider or should dings be reported and CCTV show the perpetrator?

hi all i used to take up two spaces purely because i have a £50.000 porche which jealous people open their doors onto obviously because they have such sad lifes and can't stand other people being better off.

i hate this world.full of ******** everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I have got to disagree not everyone is in to material possesions,Having a £50,000 porsche does not make you a better person or give you the right to park in 2 spaces.

Paulo.

Some people probably are jealous of your car, granted, but at the end of the day, they're not really that likely to risk being seen by someone/CCTV smashing their door into yours just because their eyes are a little green :D Oh dear. The costs would definitely outweigh the benefits on that one.
My car isn't a Porsche, and definitely not worth £50k, but it's special enough, especially to me and my Mrs. That's why we've owned it 9 years.

I'm about to go on the 4th round of de-denting/spraying since we've owned it, because of exactly this problem (I usually leave it a few months, sometimes up to a couple of years, before getting panel dents fixed, so that it's cost-effective - because it always happens). All told, in 9 years, it's probably cost us upwards of £1700 to sort door dings and scrapes.

Should parking bays be made wider or should dings be reported and CCTV show the perpetrator?
Parking bays won't be made any wider, it would mean less parking spots for punters and therefore less business.

I've tried the "CCTV evidence" before (Morrison's at Parkgate, and Meadowhall), it doesn't work / retail doesn't cooperate.

The last guy I caught damaging my door intentionally (yes, you read that right - and of course he didn't leave his details :rolleyes:), I trailed back to his place instead, then came back 'later' and 'sorted' his own car. Bet he's not done it since, he was definitely going to be in his £ for much more than me :twisted:

As I've posted in the thread before, I have no qualms whatsoever parking on 2 bays when/if possible. It's not a right, but it's a liberty I'm taking. Sue me.

I have read some ridiculous statements on this thread. A car is as much of a tin to get you A2B as a house is a pile of bricks just for you to live in. I mean you could always walk or live in a box right? Other people do it? Nonsense.

A car to its owner has its own value, usually the second most expensive purchase after the home. A £100k car will have the same value to its owner (who may have a £1m house) as a £10k car will to somebody who has a £100k house. It isn't about cost, or that fact its expensive or otherwise. What I find particularly sickening is coming back to your car to find the doors dented in to the point where you need a bodyshop to fix it. This is the equivalent of some ignoranus smashing the windows on your house.

I will stop parking in two spots when the owners of the car park take responsibility for managing them correctly (at least CCTV for edidence of damage being caused etc).

If I see someone parked over 2 spaces then I'll purposely park as close as possible to them.

Why? why not just get on with your day?

If there's a lack of spaces available why should someone be greedy enough to warrant 2 spaces? If they parked responsibly they wouldn't have a problem.

John Lewis car park is a prime example. The system knows how many spaces are available by the number of cars going in and out. If some tosspiece wants to park over 2 spaces it sends the system out meaning people are aimlessly driving around trying to find the spare place that doesn't exist. People who do that should be clamped AND scratched.

If there's a lack of spaces available why should someone be greedy enough to warrant 2 spaces? If they parked responsibly they wouldn't have a problem.

John Lewis car park is a prime example. The system knows how many spaces are available by the number of cars going in and out. If some tosspiece wants to park over 2 spaces it sends the system out meaning people are aimlessly driving around trying to find the spare place that doesn't exist. People who do that should be clamped AND scratched.

Scratched is criminal damage so you're no better than they are if that's what you think. Would you say that if I come back to my car and some 'tosspiece' has opened their door into it, then it's right for me to put my steering lock through their window?

Yes I agree if there's a shortage of parking they shouldn't use 2 spaces. I personally have used 2 spaces diagonally to protect my car from chimps who bang their doors into it, but I have only done that in emptyish car parks and I park as far away from everything else as I can. If there's limited parking I tend to go elsewhere.

I hope it's not the same company as the Retail Park....

Got a ticket for overstaying for 6 minutes even though we were having a meal after our shopping.

We took advice from a parking forum and didn't even acknowledge the fine!

The Letters stopped after 4 weeks!

It's against the law for any single company to force you to pay them any money unless ordered by a court!

Watching out for clamping zones though, this could be tricky unless you have bolt cutters in the boot which, I do in a locked storage box in the boot.

Archived