Clamping now in force at Meadowhall

Scratched is criminal damage so you're no better than they are if that's what you think. Would you say that if I come back to my car and some 'tosspiece' has opened their door into it, then it's right for me to put my steering lock through their window?

Yes I agree if there's a shortage of parking they shouldn't use 2 spaces. I personally have used 2 spaces diagonally to protect my car from chimps who bang their doors into it, but I have only done that in emptyish car parks and I park as far away from everything else as I can. If there's limited parking I tend to go elsewhere.

If you have such a irrational fear of people opening their doors and hitting your car (which appears to deserve more parking spaces than anyone else) then maybe you should take the bus? In all the times I've parked in a public car park I've never experienced anyone hitting the door. Maybe that's because I park well inside the white lines as opposed to an angle or just over the white line to encourage people not to park at the side of me?

If you have such a irrational fear of people opening their doors and hitting your car (which appears to deserve more parking spaces than anyone else) then maybe you should take the bus? In all the times I've parked in a public car park I've never experienced anyone hitting the door. Maybe that's because I park well inside the white lines as opposed to an angle or just over the white line to encourage people not to park at the side of me?
Lucky you. I can vouch (well, approx £1700 of my hard-earned can vouch) that parking "well inside white lines" makes not one bit of difference.

I don't believe it's down to an "irrational fear" and there's no question of any car 'deserving' more parking space, but either a motivation to preempt a recurring problem or meekly accept one's lot. To paraphrase you, if all drivers were considerate enough to avoid wanging their doors open into those of neighbouring cars, then there wouldn't be a problem at all, nor any requirement to preempt the problem.

Likewise, if all drivers were considerate enough to always leave their details after such an incident (accidents do happen, e.g. high winds can at times be responsible for such damage) so that they can foot the repair bill, then there wouldn't be a problem at all, nor any requirement to preempt the problem.

You break or damage someone else's property, you pay. Just and simple. I always put my fingers around my car door's furthest end, to make sure there's no contact, whenever I get in/out of my car. How difficult can it be for everyone to do that? :rolleyes:

My car isn't a Porsche, and definitely not worth £50k, but it's special enough, especially to me and my Mrs. That's why we've owned it 9 years.

I'm about to go on the 4th round of de-denting/spraying since we've owned it, because of exactly this problem (I usually leave it a few months, sometimes up to a couple of years, before getting panel dents fixed, so that it's cost-effective - because it always happens). All told, in 9 years, it's probably cost us upwards of £1700 to sort door dings and scrapes.

Parking bays won't be made any wider, it would mean less parking spots for punters and therefore less business.

I've tried the "CCTV evidence" before (Morrison's at Parkgate, and Meadowhall), it doesn't work / retail doesn't cooperate.

The last guy I caught damaging my door intentionally (yes, you read that right - and of course he didn't leave his details :rolleyes:), I trailed back to his place instead, then came back 'later' and 'sorted' his own car. Bet he's not done it since, he was definitely going to be in his £ for much more than me :twisted:

As I've posted in the thread before, I have no qualms whatsoever parking on 2 bays when/if possible. It's not a right, but it's a liberty I'm taking. Sue me.

Have you ever stopped to think that some people might deliberately damage your car for doing that,you could be your own worst enemy.

Paulo.

its a bit of tin for going from a 2 b in, regardless of how much it cost.like i said if it bothers you that much ,park it in the middle of a field so no one can park near it.

people should be carfull when getting out of there car,and people who park there car and take up 2 spaces should also spare a thought for other drivers instead of being selfish numptys.

nobody needs two parking spaces, if everyone goes about their every day life with just a little bit of consideration for others, then the world would be a much happier place to live.

so park inbetween the lines and move your seat back away from the steering wheel because you look silly licking the windscreen, and keep out of the middle lane on the motorway,or better still keep off the motorway.

and they should stop putting driving licences in lucky bags because there are too many inconsirate numptys on the road. n TURN UR FOG LIGHTS OFF YOU IDIOT.

its the survival of the fittest deal with it

all this nittpicking will shorten your life

In today's Star...

THE numbers quoted in the article (95 tickets being issued in just three hours) are exaggerated. In fact, on the day quoted, only 50 cars were clamped during the entire day (12 hours), with over 28,000 vehicles passing through the centre in total. Of this number, 17 were released free of charge due to the badges being valid but displayed incorrectly.

The areas being clamped are disabled bays, hatched lines, restricted areas and double yellow lines. No cars have been clamped for being outside the lines or for parking in parent and toddler bays.

Legislation states we have to implement disabled parking policies and the restricted zones are marked for drivers own health and safety.

Meadowhall has always operated a clamping policy, but we've recently employed a reputable agency due to the growing number of complaints we've received from customers.

As we enter the busiest time of year at Meadowhall we want to ensure the shopping experience is as stress-free as possible. It's only a minority that break the rules.

There has been a very interesting response to this article on your website, where there is a unanimous feeling that clamping at Meadowhall will have a positive effect.

Darren Pearce, director Meadowhall Shopping Centre

So clarity on the parents and toddlers space issue.

I came across a very good idea for inconveniencing drivers who park in places that cause problems for other people, a polite notice was put onto the windscreen explaining the problem.

The best bit is that it was stuck on with a glue that had to be scraped off and left no damage to the car,it took about 5 minutes to do this.

I came across a very good idea for inconveniencing drivers who park in places that cause problems for other people, a polite notice was put onto the windscreen explaining the problem.

The best bit is that it was stuck on with a glue that had to be scraped off and left no damage to the car,it took about 5 minutes to do this.

:hihi:

A friend of mine worked for an organisation for people with disabilities, they had a small, private car park which was being used by members of the public, despite notices saying it was private.

They tried putting a polite note under the windscreen wipers, but some people couldn't take the hint. My friend took over putting the notes on windscreens - she used A4 sheets of paper and a tin of treacle! Absolutely no damage done to the illegally parked cars, but some very annoyed motorists, who didn't park there any more. :hihi:

I always put my fingers around my car door's furthest end, to make sure there's no contact, whenever I get in/out of my car. How difficult can it be for everyone to do that? :rolleyes:

I always do this too. People who regularly carry children in the back of their car should use the childlocks and open the door themselves to let the child out if they are not able to be careful enough on their own.

I've seen this done at Morrisons Barnsley, one driver coming back to his car to find a large sign stuck to his windscreen having parked in a parent and toddler space, he stormed back in with his baby still strapped in the car seat which had been placed in the buggy for shopping.

Archived