Clamping now in force at Meadowhall

simple solution all shoppers that drive dont go to meadow hall boycott it then with any luck it might shut, use town revive the centre and get rid off the crappy american style mall we can do with out.

You are offering a solution. Haven't you realised that most posters on here do not think there is a problem?

There isn't a problem, just inconsiderate and selfish people who think there is.

If you park in the correct place you will not get clamped, it's that simple !

exactly. if you park in a disabled bay without a badge then you deserve to get clamped. same with hatched areas, saw someone get to their car in the oasis car park and finding a clamp on it after parking on the hatches, made me laugh.

If you park in the correct place you will not get clamped, it's that simple !
We can but hope that this proves to be the case. But if they're starting off by clamping bona-fide disabled badgeholders for displaying the badge 'upside down' it doesn't augur well, does it? I'd imagine that the last thing that disabled people need in the cold damp weather is having to dodge about looking for someone to remove a clamp from their vehicle.

Personally I hope Meadowhall would issue instructions to them to display a little commonsense, but they may well have a tiger by the tail now and can't actually influence the company to behave responsibly. We'll soon see how it works out over the coming weeks.

We can but hope that this proves to be the case. But if they're starting off by clamping bona-fide disabled badgeholders for displaying the badge 'upside down' it doesn't augur well, does it? I'd imagine that the last thing that disabled people need in the cold damp weather is having to dodge about looking for someone to remove a clamp from their vehicle.

Personally I hope Meadowhall would issue instructions to them to display a little commonsense, but they may well have a tiger by the tail now and can't actually influence the company to behave responsibly. We'll soon see how it works out over the coming weeks.

if they do that then that is out of order really, even though they would no doubt get the fine removed. if they don't display a badge then fair enough but if they have been clamping people for ptting it upside down then thats wrong, certainly some common sense should be used in those situations

"But if they're starting off by clamping bona-fide disabled badgeholders for displaying the badge upside down it doesn't augur well, does it?"

How long does it take bona-fide badge holders to check the badge is the right way when they leave their vehicle ?

A - 1 Hour

B - 20 Minutes

C - 5 Seconds

"But if they're starting off by clamping bona-fide disabled badgeholders for displaying the badge upside down it doesn't augur well, does it?" How long does it take bona-fide badge holders to check the badge is the right way when they leave their vehicle ?

A - 1 Hour

B - 20 Minutes

C - 5 Seconds

Oh come on. If it's clearly visible on the dashboard, why does it matter which way up it is? Anyone can make a mistake, especially if they're trying to get into a wheelchair or it's windy and they're trying to stop the door slamming into someone's £30k Porsche or something. I'm not registered disabled myself, but I can imagine a scenario where the badge might inadvertantly be left wrongly positioned, only a pedantic clown with targets to reach would feel justified in clamping someone in that situation. IMO!

If you have such a irrational fear of people opening their doors and hitting your car (which appears to deserve more parking spaces than anyone else) then maybe you should take the bus? In all the times I've parked in a public car park I've never experienced anyone hitting the door. Maybe that's because I park well inside the white lines as opposed to an angle or just over the white line to encourage people not to park at the side of me?

You will always get some knob-head dinging your car even if you park with military precision between the lines. Try parking in the furthest possible pasking space away from the supermarket entrance and when you return, you will find some tit has parked next to you, with NO regard for the lines.

I was once asked by a member of staff at Asda why I had parked in two spaces, and I replied when the store helps me catch the people who damage my property whilst I am on theirs I will happily park in ONE allocated spot. Signs all around the place state they accept no responsibility.... he actually then AGREED with me and said 'crack on'... go figure it!

The main reservation I have is Meadowhall using a private company for this work. Clampers aren't usually the most reasonable people to have to deal with because the way they make money is by intimidating people into paying their extortionate charges.

If I were the management of Meadowhall, I'd be worried about being tarred with the same brush. At least when you get booked by parking services, you know who you're dealing with. I'd have thought there must be a better way of challenging abuses of the parking areas at Meadowhall than allowing this type of company to do it.

Meadowhall is a private land space for retail and parking. Interestingly, although there are hatches in the parking lots, where are the rules to suggest you cannot park there? Are they displayed in the car park anywhere as the rules of the public road do not always apply on private grounds surely?

Meadowhall is a private land space for retail and parking. Interestingly, although there are hatches in the parking lots, where are the rules to suggest you cannot park there? Are they displayed in the car park anywhere as the rules of the public road do not always apply on private grounds surely?
I have no idea, because it would never occur to me to be so inconsiderate as to park on them, or outside a marked bay, or across two spaces. With respect, I'd suggest one would have to be a total moron not to realise that hatchings, wherever they appear, indicate that you shouldn't park a vehicle there? If you're considered capable of driving, one should be capable of assessing any vehicle related situation.

I'm quite willing to enter into a discussion on the rights and wrongs of a retail giant contracting a private clamping firm to manage its parking areas, but I'm not prepared to enter into the sort of pedantic, nitpicking SF debate about the validity or otherwise of an internationally recognised 'road marking' such as yellow or white crosshatching. :)

Archived