Upperthorpe/Walkley families

dontask

Hi all

Just desperately casting a few seeds into the wind in the hope that some take root!

I have been tracing my family for some time now but have run up against a big brick wall with my great grandfather - George Frederick Astwood Reaney.

Does anyone have family ties to the Upperthorpe/Walkley/Sharrow areas (c1870-1930). Names of particular interest are: Reaney, Astwood, Miles, Rolley, Gregory, Keyworth and Walster.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Tim

• 2 years later...

Hi Alan

Good to hear from you. My connection to the Gregory family is through my grandmother's sister Elizabeth Astwood Reaney who married Tom Gregory and lived on Creswick street.

Let me know if you think we have a link - we may be able to swap information.

Regards

Tim Miles

I believe that Elizabeth Astwood Reaney (1907-1994) married Tom Gregory in 1928. They had a daughter Betty (1932-2005) who married Donald Hague and had a son Nigel in about 1955.

I haven't traced Tom Gregory's background but it seems very likely that our family links in Walkley are there somewhere.

Tim

From the point of view of Church Records...

George Frederick Astwood REANEY, and also a son of the same name, were both married at St Mary's, Walkley (1905 and 1936). Do you need the details of those marriages?

I can't find Walkley baptisms or burials relating to this family.

Regarding the Blake Street GREGORYs. There are Walkley baptisms in 1917 and 1924 for children of William and Gertrude (nee STOKES) GREGORY, of 23 Blake St., and also one in 1917 for a child of Frederick and Sarah (nee TAIT) GREGORY of 25 Blake St. Both fathers were blacksmiths.

Do you have the 1928 marriage certificate for Tom GREGORY and Elizabeth Astwood REANEY? If so, what is Tom's age, occupation, address, and what does it say about his father?

Hugh

(Friends of Walkley Cemetery)

Edited by HughW

Hello Hugh

I would be grateful for the marriage details. My great grandfather was buried in Crookes cemetery but when I looked there was no longer a stone at the spot - do you know if headstones were transcribed before being removed (assuming that is what happened)?

Thanks for you interest and help

Tim