Upperthorpe/Walkley families

dontask

hello Tim,

I have sent you a pm. Do you know for a fact that there was a gravestone on the grave in Crookes Cemetery? Many graves never had memorials. If there was one and it has disappeared this could be due to the council's 'safety checks' which have damaged many stones. As far as I know the inscriptions have not been recorded.

Hugh

Thanks Hugh - some new info there and confirms that my g-grandfather was a newsagent towards the end of his life.

Regarding his grave - I don't know if there was ever a headstone. It is quite possible that his widow could not afford one.

Does anyone know a way to trace business addresses for newsagents in the late 30's 40's?

Tim

Hi all

Just desperately casting a few seeds into the wind in the hope that some take root!

I have been tracing my family for some time now but have run up against a big brick wall with my great grandfather - George Frederick Astwood Reaney.

Does anyone have family ties to the Upperthorpe/Walkley/Sharrow areas (c1870-1930). Names of particular interest are: Reaney, Astwood, Miles, Rolley, Gregory, Keyworth and Walster.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Tim

hiya, have just read your post about the upperthorpe families and it set me thinking of what i was told ( nothing to do with your names ) that my dad went to live for a time in the early 1910s-20s with his grand parents down oxford st , what has confused me was afamily of the same name william white, but never knew any work he did ,or if it were the same family.,

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re the Gregorys of Blake Street, Walkley.

The Walkley Baptisms in 1917 and 1924 for the children of William and Gertrude. William (1882-1951) and Gertrude (1888-1915) were my Grandparents on my Dad's side. The Baptism in 1917 was probably my Dad (1917-1997). I don't know about the 1924 one. I thought their youngest child was born in 1918.

Fred(rick) and Sarah...............Fred(rick) could be the son of Frederick (Dob 1858) my GGrandad. In 1891 Frederick was a 'Jobbing Smith'.

Fred(rick) - my GUncle - married Sarah Mcl Tait in 1915. This would tie in with a baptism in 1917. In 1913 Sarah was employed by the British Postal Service as a 'Type Sh..................(cannot read).

Hope this helps.

Does anyone remember the Bell family? Fred and Ethel born 1902/7) and son Peter who married Patricia and lived nearby. They had sons Keith and Ian.

i know these people i am related to them think they are my mum,s cousins, i remember them coming to our house when i was around 11

Hi all

Just desperately casting a few seeds into the wind in the hope that some take root!

I have been tracing my family for some time now but have run up against a big brick wall with my great grandfather - George Frederick Astwood Reaney.

Does anyone have family ties to the Upperthorpe/Walkley/Sharrow areas (c1870-1930). Names of particular interest are: Reaney, Astwood, Miles, Rolley, Gregory, Keyworth and Walster.

Tim

Hi Tim I am Gregory from the walkley area and we also lived in the sharrow area regards Kevan Gregory

• 11 years later...
On 27/10/2009 at 14:08, dontask said:

Hi all

Tim

14 years late to the party so likely no point posting this! Just in case - I THINK that George Frederick Astwood Reaney grew up as George Astwood in the family of one of my relations, Frederick Pollard Astwood (1858-1927). Fred Astwood married Florence Cross (1863-1943) in 1881, about a year after George Astwood / George Frederick Astwood Reaney was born. I have no clue but it's possible that George's real dad was called Reaney and he changed his name to respect both his real dad and Fred Astwood. The newsagent business was as a street seller according to the 1939 register, so no fixed business premises. The Telegraph of 24 July 1919 says that George Frederick Astwood Reaney, of 5ct, 7hse Cross Addy Street, had served in WW1 and got ripped off by a dodgy horse dealer when he wanted to invest part of his gratuity from the army in a horse when he got back from the war and was trying to get set-up in civilian life again. Cheers, Andrew P.