Theme park in sheffield

Not Alton Towers (down in the middle of the Peak District) or American Adventure (J 27ish of the M1)? Or even Drayton Manor at Tamworth if you can be bothered to drive that far. And of course Blackpool's less than a couple of hour's drive away....

Originally posted by SHsheff

Not Alton Towers (down in the middle of the Peak District) or American Adventure (J 27ish of the M1)? Or even Drayton Manor at Tamworth if you can be bothered to drive that far. And of course Blackpool's less than a couple of hour's drive away....

the OP wanted ones close to Sheffield, I posted the details of the nearest Theme Parks to Sheffield.

Originally posted by Rich

The closest one would probably be Pleasure Island in Cleethorpes.. Either there or Lightwater Valley in Ripon, North Yorkshire.

Lightwater Valley's crap though. I grew up 40minutes drive away, used to go several times a year, and was there the day the kid fell off that new fangled ride and died.

Compared to Alton Towers, which isn't that much of a bigger distance away than LWV, I'd choose AT any day!

Happy_Guy it depends on what age group you're taking!

I'd say Alton Towers is the best for adults/older kids as it has lots of white knuckle rides and there's loads to do for a whole day out, but if you've younger 'uns (up to a young 14) then American Adventure is targetting that age group this year. I think Pleasure Island has a fair bit for the younger age group too, and you've the seaside too if they get bored of rides.

I know Rich suggested Lightwater Valley as being near but personally I find it more of a trek than American Adventure which is only a couple of junctions down the M1. But I guess that depends which junction you join at :D And, agreeing with Hook, I don't like LWV much. Last time I went it felt run down, as did Flamingo Land.

Alton Towers gets my vote. 'Specially out of season when it looks like rain when you set off. No-body else there, no queues, perfick!

If is children you're after entertaining, try Gulliver's Kingdom at Matlock Bath.

Ski lift takes you to the top and you work your way down to the bottom. Excellent.

Almost next door is the Heights of Abraham which has cable cars and caves. Great stuff.

A little further afield (on the road to Lincoln, turn left before River Trent) is Sundown Pets Corner. Well worth the journey.

Archived