Attercliffe lads

gordon3

i lived at no 5 for a short time was mrs woods the old lady at the other end from me she had long hair always wore in a bun don tknow about the fletchers but i remember the little corner shop just below kingslake street who rufused to go decimal and was still giving old money till in the end she had to close love j

Hi cleegirl, I can only remember going to kings lake st in the late 1960s to see my grandad Joeseph Fletcher, i think he lived at no 17. I was a child then but remember he was killed at work in 1969. He had a few children born there from the the 1930s on. My uncle was also called joe the rest were girls. Your description of mrs Woods sounds about right and she may also have a son who possibly lived on the wybourn in later years. One thing i always wonder about is how did large familys cope in those little houses lol. I never really hear people complain about the old Attercliffe. Perhaps they were a different harder breed than today.

Can someone please settle an argument with me and our owd lass ? I lived on the border with Attercliffe (Coleridge Road.We called it Darnall coz it sounded posher) lol. Anyway we used to go to Ripon Street rec and as you Atterclffers know had two sides ,sand rec and the "proper" rec Ha!.The question is is did the "proper" rec have "Flying Planks" ?Those who know what I am on about will know,those who dont err soz for wasting you reading space. Proper Rec meant the water fountain was over there.

Hi cleegirl, I can only remember going to kings lake st in the late 1960s to see my grandad Joeseph Fletcher, i think he lived at no 17. I was a child then but remember he was killed at work in 1969. He had a few children born there from the the 1930s on. My uncle was also called joe the rest were girls. Your description of mrs Woods sounds about right and she may also have a son who possibly lived on the wybourn in later years. One thing i always wonder about is how did large familys cope in those little houses lol. I never really hear people complain about the old Attercliffe. Perhaps they were a different harder breed than today.
i lived on there in the mid 60 s but for a short time

as for lots of people in small houses i think it was sign of the times and they never complained just got on with it ,but i think there was a much better community than now adays and the kids yes we had fun but we had respect for the older generation which i fear is lacking these days

i used to go to ripon street rec alot but what are flying planks get the grey matter working i remember the old guy who used to supervise no messing in them days they used to be there everyday i remember the other rec down carbrook where the old guy was and they had a seperate room where the older generation used to play cards and dominos in an afternoon

I was born on Stamford street in Brightside, which never had owt much in the way of entertainment, aprt from watching the smoke coming out of the steel works chimneys. But the Cliffe was our entertainment capital, There was the Globe, and the palace picture places, and the gaumont, and one on Staniforth I forget what it was called. There was the Attercliffe Palace for the best variety shows around, with a supper of pies and peas from outside. There was even a swimming baths and a roller rink. The last time I was back over in 1989 a lot of Attercliffe Road and Common had been knocked down to make way for a dual carriageway,

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

Does anyone remember my grandparents -

Edith and Lewis Lant of Lant's fish and chips, Attercliffe Common? Or my Dad, Ian who went to Coleridge Road School.

I remember it well. My parents lived just a little way up on the other side. Your Gran had blondish hair and was always immaculate. I used to love their scraps and fishcakes. I remember Ian, I think he was a bit older than me.