Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

Guest Guest

I watched the walk as they passed by what was the Forum Cinema at Southey Green, it was a great attraction, old Albert lived up the road from my wife who lived at Grimesthorpe at the time.

I also did the Star Walk a couple of times to raise money for charity (as I suspect did most people). People are talking as though it finished somewhere in the dim and distant past. I did the walk within the last 13 years, so it's not been finished for that long. I seem to remember it was about 12 miles long, and doing it without any practise was a bit mad, as it was difficult to walk properly for a couple of days afterwards!

It was a regular meet at my mates cottage, 1st on the left at the bottom of Whitely Lane. We would stand at the gate supping whiskey, chucking money into the buckets and clapping. You'd be suprised how many refused a wet of the amber nectar!! We did that for many years, but unfortunately, he is now deceased.

The Star walk took place on Whitsuntide Sunday if memory serves. The waiter at the Washington Arms on Wosternhome Rd. took part a couple of times,he seemed to enjoy the micky taking.

It was traditional then for everybody to wear their new clothes on that day.

I was in the Star Walk a couple of times and sure it was held on the Tuesday after Whit Sunday.

The route started in the city centre, West Bar, Passed the Swfc ground, Halifax road,whitley Lane down to Ecclesfield, Barnsley Road and ended up at Owlerton greyhound stadium.About 12 miles in total.

• 5 months later...

I went to Newfield school in the 70s and one of the caretakers there was an ex-walker who trained some good race walkers. Barry Lines was one of them and somebody Staniforth or Stainforth. I don't know if they ever won the race, but they were amongst the elite walkers.

The Star walk took place on Whitsuntide Sunday if memory serves. The waiter at the Washington Arms on Wosternhome Rd. took part a couple of times,he seemed to enjoy the micky taking.

It was traditional then for everybody to wear their new clothes on that day.

Actually it was always held on Whit Tuesday during the years I watched it (1950 to 1966).