Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

Guest Guest

Does anyone remember the Star Walk and a guy called Albert Parr I remeber in late 50's early 60's this guy very popular with my dads generation who ended up getting a lift part of the way round i used to watch from outside the Beer off on Page Hall rd.

did the star walk twice in the late 70"s just thinking about it now makes me fall asleep ! :loopy:

did the star walk twice in the late 70"s just thinking about it now makes me fall asleep ! :loopy:

I did the Star Walk three times, I have two certificates for the first two events, the third time I did it I got disqualified for running (never did) in Hillsborough Park near the finish, I was most upset and never did it again. :)

Hello.

Someone mentioned Albert Johnson earlier in this thread.

I'm Mike from Tasmania, Australia, and was coached by Albert here for 20 years (as a runner, not a walker).

Albert did win the Star Walk, but I couldn't tell you what year it was. I just remember him telling us about it a few times. Albert then went on to represent GB at the 1956 and 1960 Olympics. He finished 8th in 56, as was DSQ in Rome after leading with Don Thompson.

Albert moved to Tasmanian in about 1974 and took up coaching almost straight away. He only retired from coaching a few years ago due to some health issues.

Albert was a very successful distance running coach here in Tasmania for many years, producing some national champions in running, as well as some Australian reps. He also coached many good walkers..some who are still competing.

I can vouch for the fact that Albert is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, and he is a true gentleman of athletics.

I'm interested in any info anyone here has about Albert's earlier days with Sheffield Harriers. The name Nid-Nod is not something I ever heard about, but sounds very funny !

The Star walk took place on Whitsuntide Sunday if memory serves. The waiter at the Washington Arms on Wosternhome Rd. took part a couple of times,he seemed to enjoy the micky taking.

It was traditional then for everybody to wear their new clothes on that day.

It was always held on the Tuesday morning after Whit Monday. We always stood at the junction of Church Street and Whitley Lane in Ecclesfield. Walkers arrived there around 1100. This was in the 1950's. Hulley's Ice Cream always had their van there and seemed to be busy selling. It always seemed to be good weather too.

Before the war on the Star walk day , my parents along with their friends , used to spend the day in the Lane Top Working Mans club. At the appropriate time they would drag us kids to the corner outside the Pheasant ? inn to watch the walkers . One of the pubs staff used to dispense pints of ale , how the system worked I have no idea, but I do remember the crowds that turned out to watch.