Does Anyone Here Remember The Star Walk?

Guest Guest

am i right in thinking that a star walker went on to represent GB in one of the Olympics?

Several Entrants from the Starwalk Represented GB in the Olympics.

Lol Allen,Roland Hardy and John Proctor in 1952 Albert Johnson in 1956 and 1960.John Warhurst won the Commonwealth

games:

Hello.

Someone mentioned Albert Johnson earlier in this thread.

I'm Mike from Tasmania, Australia, and was coached by Albert here for 20 years (as a runner, not a walker).

Albert did win the Star Walk, but I couldn't tell you what year it was. I just remember him telling us about it a few times. Albert then went on to represent GB at the 1956 and 1960 Olympics. He finished 8th in 56, as was DSQ in Rome after leading with Don Thompson.

Albert moved to Tasmanian in about 1974 and took up coaching almost straight away. He only retired from coaching a few years ago due to some health issues.

Albert was a very successful distance running coach here in Tasmania for many years, producing some national champions in running, as well as some Australian reps. He also coached many good walkers..some who are still competing.

I can vouch for the fact that Albert is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet, and he is a true gentleman of athletics.

I'm interested in any info anyone here has about Albert's earlier days with Sheffield Harriers. The name Nid-Nod is not something I ever heard about, but sounds very funny !

Albert was 3rd in the Starwalk in 1949 I was in Sheffield united Harriers the same time.I was in the Starwalk 1950 and Albert trained with several of us for several years.

I took part in the star walk two years on the trot in the eighties.

The first year as part of the Middlewood angels team.

The second year with a friend.Third from last, but we enjoyed it and never stopped laughing.Are there any Middlewood Angels out there that took part with us.

Way back in the fifties I knew a woman at work whose husband Bill Merrills took part in the Star Walk and if I remember correctly and he and another competitor crossed the line together in first place,a dead heat, the only one I think

i can remember going to hillsborough park when i was a little girl to see the finish with my mum and my grandmother

us too. we would go to barnsley road to watch the first few pass then jump in car to somewhere nr hills (remember been stood outside a pub while my folks had a swift half) and get to hills park to see them finish. my uncle was in it one year.

Oh Yeh shud mention that after that result I trained with albert johnson along with keith french stuart ashston terry stephenson brian johnson mick hague derek slinn paul slinn, chris harpham jimmy jankers oops real name john cheetham sorry john blame ashton n stephenson for that nickname and a load of other dedicated walkers fromsheffield united walking club. names to mention john warhurst all off the greasleys from cresswell leon pedryck got close with the spellin leon!!! ken booth frank clay n an absolute load of other members that put a lot of effort into organising and executing the STARWALK

i remember most of those names. also dick holland, derrick shaw, ray hankin and the ryan twins. did many laps of the triangle opposite wednesday ground also boxing day handicap. great fun after a good christmas drink.

The Boxing day handicap was a seven mile walk held in the morning from Hillfoot Working mens club who donated the prizes.I won this twice,1950 when I was 15 and the 2nd time i think was around 1957 I don't know if the race still takes place or where from:huh: